BTU's and boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My first time here and i have a few questions.

My lounge is 20ft x 12ft with an open chimney, double glazed window and double glazed french doors. I only have one rad 2200x600 single skin/convector ( i think thats right ). What would be the BTU output of this rad and what is needed for this room?

Does anyone have a way to workout the btu output of a rad based on its size? (mine are all single skin single convector)

My current boiler is labelled as a 40/55 NG boiler,which i guess should have been converted to LPG burners but if it hasnt could this explain using 2x47kg bottles of gas (about £72) every three weeks with about 6hrs day usage?

I have a large 3bed semi (see the lounge size) in the middle of nowhere on top of a hill(hence the LPG). Can anyone give a gut feeling for boiler size needed? currently the rads only get warm to the level where i can still lean against them just wearing a shirt. I can barely touch the rads in my parents house.

Sponsored Links
boiler sounds undersized.rad needed for a lounge that size is about 2.5 kw.sounds like your ready for an updated boiler and system, new condensing boiler will drop gas usage

gordongas said:
boiler sounds undersized.rad needed for a lounge that size is about 2.5 kw.sounds like your ready for an updated boiler and system, new condensing boiler will drop gas usage

Many thanks for your comments gordongas definatly going to replace it

i guesstimated about 70,000 btu boiler but i am thinking about extending in the not too distant future so i wanted to get a bigger boiler than i needed say the baxi 100/2 HE, is it a problem this running at a lower level it says its fully modulated between 9-30kw.

Sponsored Links
I like to have extra-big rads (with TRVs) so the boiler can run full tilt getting them all heated up, then have a rest. then, if you've been out all day, it has ample power to warm the house quickly, also in unusually cold weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back