Bubble for Spirit Level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone tell me where I can buy a "bubble" (preferably plastic) for my boat level.
The phial needs to be about 60mm long X 10mm diam.

Any info would be appreciated

Cheers,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Is it economic or practical to mess about with replacement vials nowadays? Why not just get a new level for a few £'s?

If the level is a well known brand then the vial will most likely be propriatory to the manufacturer and if no longer made, then any other size else will be a fudge with questionable accuracy.

Anyway, try PRE Engineering at www.spirit-levels.co.uk/vials.html they have lots of sizes.

Sponsored Links
My trained pedigree goldfish produce fine quality organic bubbles, I can sell you some at 50p each plus P&P.

Am I the only one who when seeing the thread title thought of apprentices being sent off to trade outlets to ask for "a long weight" "a left handed screwdriver" "a new bubble for the spirit level" "stripey paint " "sky hooks" "a glass hammer" etc.

No you were not alone.

try getting a hard punch or a long stand

cant remember any more :cry:

I would say tartan paint, but you really can get it.

(well ok, its not paint its the coloured stuff that makes a fibreglass what ever coloured. ok so it built in layers, but the result is tartan)

Is it economic or practical to mess about with replacement vials nowadays? Why not just get a new level for a few £'s?.

Hi Woody, nice to meet you and thank you for your advice. I agree with you absolutely.

In fact I have bought a new pocket level for less than it would have cost to buy a single bubble sorry (vial- must keep up with the times) even if I could have obtained one.

However, I must explain that my old pocket level is an original Rabone, is made of polished hardwood (not composition material) and it has a brass facia and end plates.

It looks like mahogany but is probably deep stained boxwood.

The level was issued to me when I was signed up to serve an indentured apprenticeship nearly 60 years ago (58 to be precise). :eek:

In fact my deed of apprenticeship is nearly as large as the deed to my house.

I have used the level continuously all of those years (even when I was “off the tools”) so it does have some nostalgic connotation.

Daft I know but there it is. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Incidentally, my son told me the other day that I was too old to be laying bricks. :evil: :evil: :evil:

The link you gave me I had already tried but this is one of the suppliers which stipulated a £50 minimum order. Thank you anyway for your trouble.

I am seriously considering swapping the bubble (sorry again, vial) from my new level to my old level as it is approximately the right size.

Because, even though the aluminium levels are “factory set” (or so I was assured), they do loose there accuracy in a couple of years. This may be due to the aluminium body warping or the plastic bubble (it has always been called a bubble hasn’t it!!) having been compressed or otherwise distorted during its “factory setting”.

But more importantly, the reasonably priced aluminium “factory set” levels can not be adjusted or reset so are throw away jobs.

Or perhaps in this modern world we live in a “course of pig” or two just doesn’t matter any more. :( :( :(

Thank you for your interest,

Cheers and regards,

Tony.

My trained pedigree goldfish produce fine quality organic bubbles, I can sell you some at 50p each plus P&P.

Hi JohnD--That seems like a good price but does it include VAT ?

Also, I like the bubbles (sorry again vials) in my levels to be green so what colour is your goldfish and what colour are its organic bubbles (????no it can't be).

I would need to have sight of the pedigree certificate too.

Cheers and regards, :D :D :D

Tony

Am I the only one who when seeing the thread title thought of apprentices being sent off to trade outlets to ask for "a long weight" "a left handed screwdriver" "a new bubble for the spirit level" "stripey paint " "sky hooks" "a glass hammer" etc.

Hi Paul, nice to meet you.

In the olden days I often went into a tool outlet and asked for "a new bubble for a spirit level" and after I had given them the size, they sold me one for about 1/6d (old money of course). :) :) :)

Cheers,

Tony

have you tried asking stanley ???
Given the history of the level they may well try to help you out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back