Bubbles in wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We hung some wallpaper on our chimney breast about two years ago and it was a good finish without any air bubbles. However lately I've noticed a few popping up and I've no idea why. I've attached a pic which shows a few of the worst ones. It's like the paste has gone! The wall was skimmed and I've prepared it by painting a mist coat of emulsion to prime it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Is it possible the bubbles were there originally and were not noticed.

Is the Chimney breast closed in, is there an open fire, (Damp in Chimney Breast.)
Do you dry washing on the radiators in that room, damp affecting wall.
Have you had the carpets shampooed recently, damp from cleaning solution,
Many reasons why it lifted, The main one is that the wallpaper was not properly pasted and left to soak in the first place. (it left a dry spot, and moisture has allowed it to lift)
Have you checked that there isnt a crack in the plasterwork behind the paper ?

Is it possible the bubbles were there originally and were not noticed.

Is the Chimney breast closed in, is there an open fire, (Damp in Chimney Breast.)
Do you dry washing on the radiators in that room, damp affecting wall.
Have you had the carpets shampooed recently, damp from cleaning solution,
Many reasons why it lifted, The main one is that the wallpaper was not properly pasted and left to soak in the first place. (it left a dry spot, and moisture has allowed it to lift)
Have you checked that there isnt a crack in the plasterwork behind the paper ?

Thanks for the reply.

The chimney breast is closed in but there are 2 vents upstairs.
Yes we do dry washing on the radiators in the room. We haven't shampooed the carpets in the room and yes there are probably 2 or 3 cracks in the plaster behind. Infact When we had the room plastered, the plasters weren't very good and the whole lot cracked! So we had it re-done by somebody else apart from the chimney breast as we already wallpapered it. We can see lines in the wallpaper which would be the cracking probably pushing the paper. It's possible that we just didn't notice them when we hung the paper but I'm pretty sure if wasn't as bad as it at the moment.

Phil

We know that a well-done wallpaper installation may last from 15 to 25 years. Compared to paint, I prefer wallpapers. This case happened many times to us, and this can easily be fixed. First cut the slit the bubble, then push down on the bubble to remove the remaining air. After removing the air, squirt glue into the opening and then easily press down using a roller to wipe off.

Sponsored Links
I can't see either of the vents upstairs venting a ground floor chimney.

Hopefully you understand that every blocked fireplace requires venting and from the detail supplied it sounds like the fireplace in question hasn't been vented and maybe taking damp.

Does the disused stack in question have a cap on it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back