Bubbles, wallpapering drying and dehumidifiers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Yesterday I wallpapered the two biggest walls in our box room. I've hung wallpaper quite a few times and have never had a problem and have even hung this same paper. This room is just looking goddamn awful!

There are a LOT of bubbles everywhere and it's been nearly 24 hours without much change. I was generous with the paste and left the paper to soak for well over the recommended time and hung it in the same way as I've always done. I'm hoping the bubbles will disappear in the next couple of days. The thing I'm banking on is the fact that I've only ever wallpapered bare plaster. One wall I've just done is plasterboard/drywall which has been sealed. The sealer seems to have done a great job, especially on the compounded joints which is where 90% of the bubbles are. On the other wall I have papered over silk paint. When I sized this wall it took over 24 hours to dry.

So to my question...will a dehumidifier help speed up the drying process, or will this actually cause more harm than good?

Cheers,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
By the way, there's no heating in the room/house at the minute either...

Applying two much paste and over soaking the paper wouldn't have helped, try a heater in the rooms to warm things up a little.

Dec

A heater! Now why didn't I think of that! :oops:

I've put one in there on low so I'll see what happens. Cheers, mate.

Another quick question...how long does it take the pros to decorate a room that means about 3.2m x 2.5m, with one window? I enjoy wallpapering but it does take me ages!

Sponsored Links
Couldn't really answer that one there would be two many differing factors.

Dec

No, Wickes plasterboard sealer.

PVA'd a newly plastered wall once, before painting. Got away with it that time (over 5 years ago). It helped that I read the instructions wrong and used less than half the PVA that was recommended.

Another quick question...how long does it take the pros to decorate a room that means about 3.2m x 2.5m, with one window? I enjoy wallpapering but it does take me ages!

I'm an early starter so, depending on the paper, by the time I got home I'd probably just catch the end of Loose Women. ITV1 that is, not 2.

And.............
When papering over silk, it's best to line first. Failing that, I'd make sure that where each join was going to be, that I'd rub it down first to make it "flat" otherwise you're risking your seams splitting over time, giving Laura Ashley the tremors.

And......
No gain / no point, in sizing over silk.

Carry on papering. :)

I'm an early starter so, depending on the paper, by the time I got home I'd probably just catch the end of Loose Women. ITV1 that is, not 2.

And.............
When papering over silk, it's best to line first. Failing that, I'd make sure that where each join was going to be, that I'd rub it down first to make it "flat" otherwise you're risking your seams splitting over time, giving Laura Ashley the tremors.

And......
No gain / no point, in sizing over silk.

Carry on papering. :)

:cool:

Dec

Just an update...

I left a heater on low overnight and this morning the bubbles had almost gone in the plasterboard wall. They were a lot worse on the sections that had jointing compound but even these are now only just slightly raised. That Wickes plasterboard sealer really does do what it says on the tin! Thinking about it I *may* have put a second thin coat of the stuff on the wall (just for good measure) which I believe acts as a vapour barrier? This probably didn't help matters :rolleyes:

On the solid wall with silk paint, the bubbles are only just (if at all) a little better than last night. I'm just presuming that the silk paint has sealed the wall so well that the paste is having trouble drying out/soaking in. I've left the heater on today as well so that by the time I get home (which will be another 10 hours difference) I'm hoping that this wall has started to sort itself out.

It's also a scrubbable/washable vinyl wallpaper which I presume also contributes to it not being able to dry out as quick? (or am I now just talking b@ll@cks?)

So far it's looking promising!

(but I could be eating my hat for dinner)

Sizing over the silk would have retarded the drying time, keep the room warm for a couple more days and you should be fine.

Dec

OOI, I had a wet house following a burst pipe. The drying-out man recommended that where there were not enough dehumidifiers to go round, blowing a fan against the wall would speed up the drying. I've been doing that on a few spots that were slow to dry after redecorationg. Seems to work.

I think it's safe to say I went a little overboard with the sealing and sizing. In this instance it's not just the drying time that's retarded.

Cheers for all your help, mate.

That's interesting, John. I suppose I could always throw the dehumidifier in the room as well. I don't think I have to worry about it drying out too quick :LOL:

Final update. Nearly every single bubble has gone and the room is looking great. Heater and dehumidifier have done the trick.

Cheers for all your help guys...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back