Wall papering all gone wrong why???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just started to wall paper over a painted wall. The wall paper is fairly good quality £10 per roll so not the real cheap stuff. Anyway ive hung the paper and smoothed out all the bubbles with this plastic scrapper thingy for taking out bubbles and ive done one wall then went out etc etc. Came back 4 hours later and the whole wall is covered in loads of bubbles!!! I know ive had bubbles before with other projects and know if I leave them they dry out and go by the morning....wrong, I checked this morning and although alot have gone theres still quite a few which have dried up and just left creases in the paper.

Can anyone tell my why this might happen and what to do to resolve as I smoothed it out and there werent any bubbles in it when I left it.

Any help appreciated as ive stopped work now until its resolved as wallpaper too expensive to waste on rest of walls like this.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Possible reasons..

1)...are the bubbles vertical and fairly thin?..similar to creases?..if so you havnt left the paper to soak for long enough and its still expanding on the wall.

2)...The paint below is bubbling and not the paper..if this is the case then thats the reason they wont go back

3)...If the paint below os either oil based or has a high acrylic content such as kitchen and bathroom paint, or is it silk?...then the paste has nowhere to go it cant soak into the wall so it stays wet behind to paper for longer, thus causing it to continue to expand...have the joints started to overlap slightly?..this is often a sign.

Possibly a combination of all three.

Let us know if any of these ring true and we might be able to provide the solution.

sorry for the delay in replying Zampa.

Soaking? could be that as never heard of it. and yes they are vertical and thin and some have turned into creases. Is soaking where you leave the paper for awhile before hanging it? IF so I never, my wife pasted and then as soon as she finished pasting the side 20 secs later it was hung!

Also the wall is a bedroom and believe it could be silk but edges have not over lapped....well not yet anyway lol

thanks for looking and I eagerly await your reply.

thanks

Thats the problem, if you read the back of the lable it will usually tell you that the paper should rest or soak for something like 10mins between pasting & hanging.

Jason

Sponsored Links
There you go....another case solved lol

As Jason said. read the haging instructions on the back of the label, most papers need a soaking time of between 5 and 15 minutes...

If you wall is silk underneath then you need to give it a thoroughly good sanding down to help provide a key.

Or line it,

Now, I'm certainly not a decorator - but I try.
I've had the same happen, where the bubbles don't melt into Aero stuff and dissolve into the wall.
If I get any the next day, I find a slight nick with a craft knife releases the trapped air beneath. The nick blends in after a wipe over.
Whether this would work at this stage, I don't know.
Maybe wetting the paper again would help?
As I said, I'm no decorator.
I only know what works for me.
It may be worth a try before removing all the paper you've put on?
Nothing to lose. ;)

Johnboy54 said:
Now, I'm certainly not a decorator - but I try.
I've had the same happen, where the bubbles don't melt into Aero stuff and dissolve into the wall.
If I get any the next day, I find a slight nick with a craft knife releases the trapped air beneath. The nick blends in after a wipe over.
Whether this would work at this stage, I don't know.
Maybe wetting the paper again would help?
As I said, I'm no decorator.
I only know what works for me.
It may be worth a try before removing all the paper you've put on?
Nothing to lose. ;)

i've done the same as johnboy54 says and it worked for me too. but then it would depend on the type of paper and the type of bubble i suppose, i have even injected paste through the paper and paint underneath (using a printing cartridge refill tool) and smoothed out if the first nick job didnt work. this worked as well.

As the song goes..."rip it up and start again"...you'l be lucky if these type of creases will go back.

Dont know how to cure your problem but what i have found is a clean roller is brilliant at getting air bubbles out, nice and gentle on the paper to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back