Paste the wall, wall paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I brought some wall paper that is embossed and paintable from Homebase, it says that it is paste the wall paper, great i though that makes life a lot esier, no need to get the pasting table out etc.

So i proceeded to paste the wall and hang the first length, by the time i had pasted the wall for the 2nd length and hung it, the first had bubbled quite badly.

I thought i would leave it at that and have a cupa, when i came back the two lengths of paper had both bubbled really bad and where they joined they had literally pushed against each other and lifted down the whole length of the join.

I left them over night expecting it all to look fantastic by the morning, oh how disappointed was i, it was the same but dry.

i took it off, then tried again this time pasting the paper leaving it for 5 mins then hanging it, fantastic, no bubbles and each length gave a nice join.

Why would they sell wall paper as paste the wall when quite clearly wallpaper expands when wet.

Anybody else had this problem?

Sponsored Links
All paper expands when wet ! some more than others but, experience will tell you how long to soak a paper. I have always pasted the paste the wall types, its just too fiddley trying to paste the wall and then get all over the face of the next length.

You could have tried wetting the back of it with luke warm water

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies

I guess i wont bother in future, wetting the paper is just as much hassle as pasting the paper in the first place.....

what are the advantages of pasting the wall rather than the paper if the paper needs wetting first?
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back