Too much paste?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was just wondering if you can use to much paste when hanging lining paper?

I hung the 1st couple of sheets and I thought I had air bubbles... so I guessed I couldnt have been using enough paste, so I applied even more paste to the paper, then applied a generous helping to the wall and still had bubbles.

I figured by working one of the bubbles out that their actually full of paste!

will this work itself out? or should I pull it all off the wall and start again.

The paste wasnt applied in big blobs or anything dont get me wrong, I worked it over the paper quite evenly, I hung the paper about 30 mins ago and it still has bubbles all over it, and to make things worse for some reason the gap I left between the sheets have expanded into one another, will they contract again, or am I now faced with an overlap!?

:eek:

Sponsored Links
did you let the paper expand/soak before hanging it, lining paper expands a lot.

Paste the paper fold it, and leave to soak in for 10 minutes or so before hanging it. Bubbles will more than likely appear but will disappear by the next day. Helps if you "size" the wall (see the instructions on the paste packet - basically it's just applying a watered down version of paste to the wall first).

As for your current predicament, you may now be left not with bubbles, but more likely lumps of paste if anything. The overlaps will probably remain but these can be removed when dry by some fine sandpaper.

Sponsored Links
I let it soak for around 5 mins, but its a pretty thick grade I think 1700. I done another wall which was concrete and it worked out fine, but it was a different paste, this wall is made of... the only way I can describe it is layers of brown paper....so im not sure if it will absorb the moisture as well as the concrete wall... ill see how it is in the morning, hopefully I wont have to rescrape and paper lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back