Bubbling Boiler and Clanging Pipes!

yes, fit a close-fitting lid and insulating jacket

insulate the loft pipes too, especially those at mains pressure which can cause quite a spectacular burst.

Sponsored Links
Sticking my nose in here for the first time on this subject, definitely get a lid for the F&E but might not be easy to get. tank must have a close fitting lid to stop air getting into water and oxygenating the system water, causing red rust. If you can't get a lid, get a sheet of plywood the right size cover it with polythene, and that will help.

Evening,

Its been a while but finally got around to starting this today!

So I took each radiator off and gave it a hose in the back yard. My word i was amazed at the stuff that came out. A few of the radiators spewed out about half a glass of sandy silt each I was really amazed at the amount that was blocking up the rads.

Also one radiator was all rusty at the bottom so best get around to replacing that one, its in a small downstairs toilet so not sure why it would rust?

I then fitted the MB3 and put in x2 of the sentinel cleaner. Going to leave this in for 3-4 weeks to let it get to work on cleaning out whats left before giving it a flush out.

I can tell the difference in hotness on the rads already i have to take my hand off them now, whereas before i could leave it on no problem.

Hopefully nothing leaks!

Thanks for all your advice so far,
Rover Blue

Always good when someone gives a follow up of their progress. If only to help others with similar problems.

Please keep us updated and good luck. ;)

Sponsored Links
I like the Spirotech, it seems to be a sturdy, well-made product. I fitted mine after the system had been powerflushed and a new boiler fitted (it was already pretty clean as I had done chemical cleans) and over a few cycles, I kept what it trapped in jars.

See how there is less and less dirt in the samples? first one at the back.

View media item 3784
View media item 3783
View media item 3406

Also one radiator was all rusty at the bottom so best get around to replacing that one, its in a small downstairs toilet so not sure why it would rust?

Is this the rad next to the toilet pan? normally splashes from men using the toilet causes rust on the rad! :eek:

Well done for posting back and good luck with all of the work.

Andy

John D what boiler have you got that flue bend doesn't look right to me at all

Is this the rad next to the toilet pan? normally splashes from men using the toilet causes rust on the rad! :eek:

Well done for posting back and good luck with all of the work.

Andy

Hi Andy,
Yep spot on its next to the pan so would seem like the previous owners had poor aim :D I will replace in the next few weeks when I flush the cleaner out.

Since I added the sludge cleaner in last week I have noticed i need to bleed 2 upstairs radiators regularly. Its a bit acidic smelling when I bleed them is this just a chemical reaction with the cleaner causing the gas build up?

On the magnaclean its caught a lot of bits already, the water coming out has turned a muddy brown since I put the cleaner in, I take it this is normal?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back