Bubbling toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our downstairs toilet has recently begun to bubble, i.e. it looks as though there is a positive air pressure in the drain and once that builds to a certain point it "releases" via the wc. This happens once or twice a week. When the toilet is flushed immediately after this happens the bowl fills and drains slowly. The next day it might be ok! There are no problems with any other drains etc from the house. The drains leave the house to join with a common run with our neighbours system and then on to the main sewer.
I have looked at the the soil pipe at roof level but see no obvious problems, the mesh guard etc is still firmly in place.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening, please?

Sponsored Links
You have a choke somewhere in the system. Check any manholes or access points on the drainage. If your lucky you have a buchan trap at the edge of your boundry and just give it a plunge.

cozzmic...
can you expand on your last for me.thx

Sponsored Links
A buchan trap is a water trap with a top access which stops smells coming up from the sewer into your pipe work. It is usually situated near the boundry of your property where the water pipe come in from the road.
It's here because it means only that one track is opened by the contractors when the house was built. Or it could be a choke in the pan, give it a plunge with a mop. But I'm still sure you have a choke somewhere.
Good luck

Interceptor=Buchan trap...both a ***can nuisance :rolleyes:

Thx all,

I'll get the covers up next week and have a look. Is there a chance that there is a problem with next doors drains which can be causing us a problem?

Cheers

Cmac:

What you're describing sounds to me like you simply need to have the sewer line that the drain pipe from this basement toilet empties into cleared with a snake. It's apparant that the sewer line from your house is partially clogged with solids (mostly coming from the kitchen sink, I expect).

I don't know if the codes are the same in England, but over here, if you add a toilet to a basement, you DO NOT have to add a vent stack to the house. You can simply cut a ditch in the basement floor and connect the new basement toilet to the existing drain piping going out of your house.

Now, what happens if the sewer line that the toilet's drain pipe discharges into is partially clogged further on downstream?

Then, when your bathtub drains or your washing machine spins, they discharge water into that drain piping faster than the water can drain away past that partial clog. The result is that the water backs up in the drain piping behind that partial clog, and if it backs up past where the drain pipe to the basement toilet connects, then any continued backing up will compresses the air in the drain pipe leading to that basement toilet.

If the water backs up high enough in the drain piping, then the air pressure in the drain pipe can be high enough to come bubbling out the toilet bowl.

And, this scenario would also explain your observation that it's an intermittent problem. The only time you'll get an air bubble coming up through the toilet bowl is when the water is backed up in the drain piping, and so there's no room for the additional water that would normally go into that drain piping when you flush that basement toilet. Consequently, the water from the tank pours into the bowl and the water level in the bowl slowly subsides as the water in the drain piping slowly drains away past that partially clogged section of your sewer pipe.

Similarily, by morning, the water backed up in your house's drain piping has all drained away through that partially clogged section of the sewer line, and there's plenty of room in the drain piping. So now, when you flush your basement toilet it flushes normally. That's mostly because the empty drain piping upstream of the partial clog can hold more than 5 gallons of water.

You'd have little to loose by just phoning up any plumbing contractor and asking him if a basement toilet will blow large bubbles of sewer gas if water backs up in the house's drain piping due to the sewer line coming out of the house being partially clogged.

And, if he confirms what I'm saying, the fix is to get a plumber to snake out that drain from the bottom of your house's vent stack all the way to where your house's sewer line meets up with the common line from the other houses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back