Burping toilet, belching sink and shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am on a septic system and all the other toilets in the house work fine. The guest bathroom (which by the way is closest to the septic drainline on its way out of the house) - when flushed - the toilet fills, then slowly drains, then chugs down hard....and the sink and shower in that room gurgle when this happens.

When I run the water in the sink, air bubbles come up in the toilet.

Please help me understand what's going on and how to fix it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Being a UK site we will struggle to help.

Chances are you need an air admittance valve and/or anti-syphonic trap on the sink.

The loo may be a syphonic action flush too, but you have strange ways over there :LOL:.

Have you tried alkaseltzer?

....Chances are you need an air admittance valve......
Chances are an air admittance valve will do nothing for the symptoms the OP described. Sounds more like positive pressure developing in the drain, possibly due to a partial blockage somewhere.

An air admittance valve will do nothing for positive pressures. It's function is to relieve negative pressures.

This side of the pond, building codes require an open vent stack at the head of a drain run to relieve positive pressures, but many seem to think an air admittance valve is a universal panacea for all drain problems, and apply it indiscriminately, despite it's totally different function.

Sponsored Links
Our septic tank did exactly the same thing - the issue was that the soakaways/drainage field were completely full, so the tank level was too high hence the noise as the extra water tries to join the overfilled tank.

If you are lucky, it self rectifies as the excess water drains - if you are unlucky (like we were) it all has to be dug up and extended at quite a cost.

More info here

http://www.shelterpub.com/_shelter/system_failure.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back