toilet/sink block?

Has the water in your blocked toilet gone down to its normal level?
If so get a bucket of HOT water and pour it into the bowl.

Andy

Done that twice now, still no effect I don't think.
I poured the bucket in from a height and it fills up to the rim and then takes 10hours or so to get back to the normal level.

Sponsored Links
Has the water in your blocked toilet gone down to its normal level?
If so get a bucket of HOT water and pour it into the bowl.

Andy

Done that twice now, still no effect I don't think.
I poured the bucket in from a height and it fills up to the rim and then takes 10hours or so to get back to the normal level.

Is it worth pouring a bucket into the drain in the backyard or filling the bath up on 2nd floor and letting it run out?
If the blockage was this bad in the actual house pipes for a month, you'd expect it to be backing up everything in the house wouldn't it?

The affected toilet must be on its own run initially, before connecting with the other pipes, blockage would be in this initial run if no other areas are affected. Classic symptoms are there, the water is slowly seeping away over time, so its going somewhere! I'd be wary of chucking too much water down in a short space of time, should the problem be affecting the whole house, you dont want it reappearing (somewhat dirtier) from the downstairs W.C. :eek:

Without being on site it is difficult to advise where else to look, any possibility of a sketch showing the footprint of the building and all toilets, gullies etc, the 2 rodding eyes and any manholes within a 100m radius?

The affected toilet must be on its own run initially, before connecting with the other pipes, blockage would be in this initial run if no other areas are affected. Classic symptoms are there, the water is slowly seeping away over time, so its going somewhere! I'd be wary of chucking too much water down in a short space of time, should the problem be affecting the whole house, you dont want it reappearing (somewhat dirtier) from the downstairs W.C. :eek:

Without being on site it is difficult to advise where else to look, any possibility of a sketch showing the footprint of the building and all toilets, gullies etc, the 2 rodding eyes and any manholes within a 100m radius?

Can't see any metal manholes at all, just small circular holes, telephone cabling covers, etc. There is one of those 2 drain covers about 10m to the right of the house but not sure whether it is water or telephone cabling.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links
Think you can discount the covers in the pavement, most likely to be water and/or CATV. You'd be surprised how long toilet paper takes to degrade, once you get a 'plug' of paper and waste blocking a pipe it goes pretty solid....

A CCTV survey of the run from back to front would show a blind branch on the run, but unless there is a hidden chamber it wont help unblock it.... Even then my worry would be if you did dislodge the problem, with little or no access downstream you may only move the problem further along.

At the moment, it looks like you may have to remove the W.C. pan and attempt to rod from there. However, there's no guarantee the rods will go round the bend where the pipe changes to horizontal, and a snake may not be man enough to clear whatever is there. In the absence of chambers to work from, jetting may be the only option, in which case, unless anyone else has any further advice, I would seriously be looking to call in professional help now.

Think you can discount the covers in the pavement, most likely to be water and/or CATV. You'd be surprised how long toilet paper takes to degrade, once you get a 'plug' of paper and waste blocking a pipe it goes pretty solid....

A CCTV survey of the run from back to front would show a blind branch on the run, but unless there is a hidden chamber it wont help unblock it.... Even then my worry would be if you did dislodge the problem, with little or no access downstream you may only move the problem further along.

At the moment, it looks like you may have to remove the W.C. pan and attempt to rod from there. However, there's no guarantee the rods will go round the bend where the pipe changes to horizontal, and a snake may not be man enough to clear whatever is there. In the absence of chambers to work from, jetting may be the only option, in which case, unless anyone else has any further advice, I would seriously be looking to call in professional help now.

As the drain at back isn't blocked, can't I ring the water company and say their drain at front has a problem?

Is it possible the drain form back to front runs straight but at an angle under the house instead of at right angles?

Drains can run almost anywhere, as long as the pipes have the correct fall! Can usually get an idea from what is visible, position of appliances, gullies etc and the inlets/outlets to chambers, then work out the direction of the runs from there. Drain testing dye can be used to clarify any doubts. Drains should run in a straight line, with a manhole at each change of direction, and all parts of the drain should accessible for rodding should need arise.

However, this is not always the case as unfortunately you've found out. It might be worth ringing the Water folks, worst case scenario is they say its not their problem, in which case you're no worse off than you are now. They have the benefit of sewer maps, if it shows the details for your property then that's a definate improvement on the current status quo.

use a plunger, if it still doesn't work i suggest that you call a plumber.

Oops...used plunger it seemed to dislodge something but not quite 100%.
Now, when the upstairs shower is used, it fills up the kitchen sink instead so I guess now I have properly blocked the drain as the back drian is now filling up with water.
Think it's gonna have to be a high pressure hose job.
How much should it cost to call someone in to unblock drains?
I've seen about £80 somewhere online.

I'll try chucking hot water down the back outside drain.

I would charge you a fixed cleared price for £90.

No Fix - No Fee.

But phone around, get a fixed priced, no half hourly rates or call out charge.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back