toilet/sink block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The toilet has not been flushing well for a couple of weeks now, sometimes blocks, sometimes flushes poorly and the water level in the bowl seems to be low.
I just turned on the tap and the toilet started bubbling, the tap waste is plugged directly into top of toilet exit u bend.
So, now the sink seems to be blocked as well.

Any ideas how to solve this or what might be causing the blockage.
Sometimes when I flush either gurgling sounds come out of the sink or old air.

I shoved the brush up and down a few times when clogged as this normally clears a blockage but not in this case.

Sponsored Links
Drain from toilet is blocked by the sound of things, you'll need to locate any manholes on the property, lift the covers and check there. If these are full of effluent then check with neighbours, if they are also affected then pass the job onto the Water Authority, shared sewers are now their responsibility.

If chambers are empty or blockage appears to only affect your property then rods will be required to attempt to clear the blockage if you intend to DIY.

Impossible to tell what may be causing a blockage at this stage, there are a number of possible causes.

Drain from toilet is blocked by the sound of things, you'll need to locate any manholes on the property, lift the covers and check there. If these are full of effluent then check with neighbours, if they are also affected then pass the job onto the Water Authority, shared sewers are now their responsibility.

If chambers are empty or blockage appears to only affect your property then rods will be required to attempt to clear the blockage if you intend to DIY.

Impossible to tell what may be causing a blockage at this stage, there are a number of possible causes.

It's only 1 toilet though. All other sinks and toilets/baths in the house are not affected. Wouldn't they all be affected if it was the drains?

Not necessarily. Problem toilet may be on an independant run initially, if the blockage is in this part of the sewer then it will only affect the one appliance. The affected section should be accessible for rodding/jetting from an inspection chamber.

Assuming problem is in a ground floor W.C. then appliances on upper floors may not show problems. The effluent will find its own level, it'll just overflow at the lowest point.

Sponsored Links
Not necessarily. Problem toilet may be on an independant run initially, if the blockage is in this part of the sewer then it will only affect the one appliance. The affected section should be accessible for rodding/jetting from an inspection chamber.

Assuming problem is in a ground floor W.C. then appliances on upper floors may not show problems. The effluent will find its own level, it'll just overflow at the lowest point.

Next issue, manhole is stuck, do I need some kind of crowbar to open it?
It has 2 handles/keys to pull on but no movement at all.

It'll be stuck down with rust and years of soil and grit.....use the sharp edge of a spade blade to get you started!
John :)

Use a claw hammer under the handle and try to lift it straight up while someone is ' trying' a corner with a spade or crowbar.

Andy

Right...
Opened the drain at the back of the house, was completely clear. I flushed the downstairs toilet and no water appeared in the drain at the back of the house so the water must be running to the front/
There are 2 small drain holes at the front of the house (not in the street) but I could only open 1 of them as they have some kind of square key that is needed to turn them. I managed to crow bar one open.
It is difficult to see down the drain as it is quite a few feet down but when flushing the toilet again, I couldn't see any water movement down at the bottom of the drain just stagnant water.
So, where's the blockage?

I also put caustic soda mix and Mr Muscle down the sink and toilet and that hasn't cleared anything.

That could be a field drain, but either way the chamber should be empty....the blockage will be between that chamber (if it is the correct one) and the loo pipe.
Are you talking about rodding eyes here? A picture of those covers would help.

That could be a field drain, but either way the chamber should be empty....the blockage will be between that chamber (if it is the correct one) and the loo pipe.
Are you talking about rodding eyes here? A picture of those covers would help.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

They are rodding eyes, but I would expect a manhole somewhere, possibly on the end of the run from the rodding eyes. A pair set like that would make me suspect one is for surface (rain) water drain, the other the foul. (Toilets, sinks etc.) Water in the bottom could indicate the blockage is downstream from that point, any tell tale smell to indicate effluent (as opposed to rainwater)? :confused:

The pipe underneath those covers will probably go down at 45deg, until it reaches the level of the sewer, then level off. It may give you a clue as to which direction the drain runs, follow it it a straight line and hopefully you may find a chamber at the far end. You may be able to rod (and clear) the pipe from the rodding eye, but i'd prefer to work from the other end, and hopefully see what is removed from the pipe. You dont want it getting moved downstream and causing further problems. :(

Caustic soda etc will probably have little effect, if the pipe is full of water then any chemical will be so dilute by the time it reaches the point of need it'll be as good as useless. Do however, take suitable precautions against splashes if rodding etc, the chemical may be dilute, but I wouldnt risk your sight finding out..... :eek:

They are rodding eyes, but I would expect a manhole somewhere, possibly on the end of the run from the rodding eyes. A pair set like that would make me suspect one is for surface (rain) water drain, the other the foul. (Toilets, sinks etc.) Water in the bottom could indicate the blockage is downstream from that point, any tell tale smell to indicate effluent (as opposed to rainwater)? :confused:

The pipe underneath those covers will probably go down at 45deg, until it reaches the level of the sewer, then level off. It may give you a clue as to which direction the drain runs, follow it it a straight line and hopefully you may find a chamber at the far end. You may be able to rod (and clear) the pipe from the rodding eye, but i'd prefer to work from the other end, and hopefully see what is removed from the pipe. You dont want it getting moved downstream and causing further problems. :(

Caustic soda etc will probably have little effect, if the pipe is full of water then any chemical will be so dilute by the time it reaches the point of need it'll be as good as useless. Do however, take suitable precautions against splashes if rodding etc, the chemical may be dilute, but I wouldnt risk your sight finding out..... :eek:

I could only open the right hand one but no smell at all and it goes vertically down, you have to use a torch to see the water.
Also, the road, public pavement is about 10-15cm to the right of those rodding eyes and there is no manhole...at least if there is then it's a public manhole?
Also, if the blockage was downstream then that's the water company's problem but then wouldn't the backyard drain be backing up and also the kitchen? The only blockage is the downstairs toilet and sink.

The blockage could be on your neighbours property but only affecting you. Go and see if your neighbour has any manholes on their side and check there.

Andy

The blockage could be on your neighbours property but only affecting you. Go and see if your neighbour has any manholes on their side and check there.

Andy

If I need to rod the drains, is this the sort of thing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12PC-DRAI...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item4150955c00

How long do they need to be? I thought I could maybe rod from the drain at the back of the house but that seems to be more than 10m to the front eye rods.
Also, how does rodding down the front eye rod holes have any effect if the blockage is in the pipes between the toilet and front of house?

Toilets upstairs, kitchen, and roof drains at back connect to back drain and the water runs in the direction of front of house.
5m further on is the toilet, presume it connects to the same drain. I put a flexible 3m snake down the toilet but it doesn't seem to hit anything.
Then about 5-10m further towards front of house there are the eye rod holes.
I'm pretty sure blockage was caused by paper in the downstairs toilet but that should have degraded by now.
Also drain at back of house does not run in a straight line to the eye rod holes, it must turn by 1m or 2m somewhere.

Neighbour has no blockages or in fact any eye rods at front of his house unless they are covered.
The nearest drain manhole in the street seems to be a right turn out of the house and 5m away from there but there's a few in one area.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Has the water in your blocked toilet gone down to its normal level?
If so get a bucket of HOT water and pour it into the bowl.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back