Budget patio refurbishment - what would you do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I moved into this property approx 3 years ago and have been fully refurbishing the interior so the garden has been on my "to do" list for some time

The property was rented out by the previous owner for around 12 years (based off old estate agent listings) before my ownership and I would generously describe the previous level of maintenance as "bare minimum".

In previous photos there is a lawn growing where the gravel has been laid - that is starting to grow back through now:

There is a slabbed patio area, approx 8m2. The slabs are in poor condition, the grout has totally gone and most of the slabs are loose underfoot. There is a very large slab covering a manhole cover which is totally rotten underneath. As the condition was poor I put a rabbit hutch on top with no cover to the surface underneath - I will definitely not to do this once its sorted and try and keep the place tidier.

There is a "stepped" area (I intend to replace the steps with new slabs) but I will leave the concrete floor and wall and just try to clean it a bit with a jetwash etc

We plan to move on next year so we want to do a cost-conscious refurbishment in the next few month, use it in the summer (and maybe one more summer depending on how easy it is to get the next property).

My plan initially is to just replace the slabs like-for-like with another set of 450mm slabs. I did initially want to change the patio area to allow for the table and chairs but to be honest i'm just looking to keep the costs down now.

If I wanted to just replace the patio with some fresh slabs, is there more to that than just lifting the old ones, replacing and grouting?
What would you do with the manhole cover?
Should I get rid of all the gravel - would the lawn grow back?

Here are some photos

IMG_20220124_143155.jpg IMG_20220124_143226.jpg IMG_20220124_143231.jpg IMG_20220124_143236.jpg

Cheers
Ben

Sponsored Links
As you are planning on selling, and new owners will have their own ideas for the garden....

Replace the manhole cover - prospective buyers will be put off that, and refects badly on other items - and it is dangerous.
(Chisel out surroundings, place new cover on bed of mortar (or concrete) and put new concrete arround surrounding, smoth flat).
https://www.toolstation.com/galvanised-cover-frame-24-x-18/p94026

Keep the paving stones (why by new ones)
Wash paving stones with pressure washer and/or paving cleaner (careful it is acid).
https://www.screwfix.com/c/auto-cleaning/patio-cleaner/cat8820001
Clean out gaps between paving stones and Regrout between them with sharp sand and cement. (5:1).

Kill the other weeds with week killer (and keep using until you sell)

Rake the gravel (worst case, pile up the gravel, hose it down, and put it back down ontop of some weed membrane).

Remove all the dead plants.

SFK

Last edited:
what he said.
washed concrete/stones look very good for a reasonably long time.
You could buy a bit more gravel and add it so long as it looks ok.

Nothing to stop you placing potted plants around and taking them with you - so long as they aren't in the ground

Thanks for the reply both. Definitely made me rethink about the fact that the next owner will probably have their own ideas - if we were staying we would definitely move the patio as the current position is poor, its in the shade, would rather be in the sun personally (where the table is at the moment), and probably the next owner might think the same too

I have ordered the karcher patio cleaner attachment and cleaning fluid and will try it out and see how I get on - if the slabs look acceptable (I reckon they will after looking at a few pictures online of how bad they can be and still be cleaned!) then I will fix the loose stones and re-grout. The pressure washer will have no issues cleaning between the tiles (honestly it's mostly soil and general grot in between them now anyway...)

Will also get a new manhole cover as there's no way around that and it needs sorting ASAP.

Sponsored Links
don't open the patio attachment until you've had a go with just the jet

I upgraded to a Karcher after using a no name pressure washer and they work but are too gentle IMHO
I have 60 year old concrete on my drive and it slopes towards the house. So it gets very dirty.

Using a blasting nozzle is like colouring in an A4 paper with a black felt tip but works fine.
The attachment is way more gentle but works a bit quicker if not as aggressive.

Blasting the gaps will send crap everywhere so wear eye protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back