Buffing, polishing a large area of wood on a bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a bed with a solid wooden (pine) base instead of slats - so it's solid sheets of wood the mattress will sit on - and I decided to wax it so at least it didn't look completely bare (even tho' it will be covered).

I've applied the wax and the colour has changed nicely and I hope it may protect it somewhat. I did want to spend a bit of time polishing it up though - can I do that with a power tool (as it's a pretty large area)? I waxed it by hand and I'm hoping I can avoid buffing / polishing by hand.

I have a 125mm orbital sander, so I can attach things to that... or I do have an angle grinder?

Am I best with some kind of buffing disc, or woollen bonnet or a polishing disc, or what? Am I best using a 240 grit sandpaper disc (I've not tried that yet, but I'm tempted to)?

Would love to hear any advice - not sure what to get from Screwfix. Most things appear to be for metal or glass or even stone.

Sponsored Links
Seems a pointless excersize , will encourage excess movement of mattress and probably stain it , also staining your bedding.

It's in a kind of 'tray' or recess - the mattress can't move around. Thanks though.

The under side of a mattress needs to be able to breathe to allow moisture to evaporate. Hence slats or perforated sheet supporting the mattress

Sponsored Links
It is always the case that no-one here tries to answer the question asked, but - instead - answers the question they want to answer? :D

I am where I am, right? :cry:

Ok

Despite the perfectly valid concerns above, I would buy a car polisher as I would fear that an angle grinder is too fast. You might be able to run a sander on slow

If it is too fast it will burn the polish

The under side of a mattress needs to be able to breathe to allow moisture to evaporate. Hence slats or perforated sheet supporting the mattress
This! Your're probably going to need to drill some holes or buy an under mattress ventilation mat from a chandler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back