Build a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at re-building a run down wooden garage. It currently has a concrete base but I am not too sure how thick. My options appear to be
1. Purchase concrete section garage (21 foot x 8foot6. The same person can supply a new base as this is larger than original. Total cost 2000

2. Tart up the current base if required and go for a 16 foot by 8 foot garage that will sit on the current base. Cost 900

3. Do my own concrete base. Build garage using breeze blocks and a flat roof. Alternatively find a tradesman to so similar.

How much and how difficult would it be to do myself and what would the likely cost be from a tradesman.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you do it yourself, do you have all the skills, tools, equipment? How quickly do you need to do the job? If you demolish the existing garage, is there any Asbestos used in the construction, if so you will have to ensure correct dismantling and disposal. If you factor in all of these costs along with the work of actually doing it yourself, how much cheaper is it than getting a tradesman to do it? If the difference is only small, I'd suggest you go for the biggest you can afford, and get someone to build it for you.
If you are going to use it as a workshop fro working on cars, you could include a pit if you replace the base. So there could be advantages to complete replacement. In the end, it has to be your decision.

No more flat roofs. They look awful, prone to puddling in centre and leaks.
I would remove asbestos sides and convert to car port if you had room to put new garage behind.
There is no danger with asbestos cement boards I find. Composition is white asbestos which has same chemical composition as talc. The dangerous blus asbestos is quite different. It was used in wall insulation. This scare re white asbestos is driven by the eec overregulation and large commercial interests. Daily Telegraph covered this thoroughly and mentioned expert who has saved flat owners 1000s of pounds.

Sponsored Links
Well the 21 foot long garage costs 2000 all built.

The 16'8" version could be there for around 900.

these are bopth concrete block bolt together sectioned garages.

The main problem is that I am hoping to use the existing base for the 16'8" garage.

The cost of the base is £800 whuch seems a lot.

I wondered how dificult it was to lay a base and if 800 is a lot for a 21' * 9' base.

How difficult would it be to build?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back