garage building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old brick built garage attached to the house that I need to take down in order to be able to carry out a loft conversion under permitted development (crazy but that's how it is).
I will then apply for planning permission to rebuild the garage.
Does anyone know if I will need to follow building regs ? In particular if the old concrete base and footings don't meet current regs will they all have to be dug up and relaid ??

Sponsored Links
Why dont you just apply for planning for the loft?

I want to chnage my hip roof to a gable end otherwise there isn't enough space. The local council have stated they would not allow this under their planning permission rules so the only way to do it is to convert it under Permitted Development (Town and Country Planning Act 1995) however I can't have more than 70 cu metres of extension to be able to do this. With a back room extension and garage this takes me over the limit. Temporarily getting rid of the garage allows me to achieve this.

richardpy1 said:
I want to chnage my hip roof to a gable end otherwise there isn't enough space. The local council have stated they would not allow this under their planning permission rules so the only way to do it is to convert it under Permitted Development (Town and Country Planning Act 1995) however I can't have more than 70 cu metres of extension to be able to do this. With a back room extension and garage this takes me over the limit. Temporarily getting rid of the garage allows me to achieve this.

Proof (if needed) that the system is an ass. If you are simply rebuilding it as a garage (ie: non-habitable) then I don't think building regs count. Ask the council as it can vary anyway, depending where you live.

Sponsored Links
If you rebuild to the same sizes and general appearance and specification, then it will not be controlled works, but rather routine maintenance/repair

Woody this is an interesting point. However surely I can't have my cake and eat it ?

ie I can't very well on the one hand demolish the garage and say it no loner exisits in order to get my permitted development loft, and then on the other hand apply for planning permission to build a garage but say it doesn't need building regs becasue it is just a repair ....or can I ?? WHat do you think ?

Finally where can I find out the build reings requirements for a garage without having to buy the whole lot ?

thanks
Richard

Planning and building control are two completly different things, and obligation and requirements are met in different ways - they are not related or connected

In this instance, as soon as you knock it down it is gone in terms of planning control. And the next morning you can rebuild it as a repair for the purposes of building control - as long as you build it exactly the same.

I would go one further and argue that if you take the roof off and remove the door, then it is no longer a garage for planning purposes - which should save some rebuilding

You want to take a look at a guy who had plans to renovate a 3 bedroom house and then totally ignore the plans and basically demolish the house and build a 9 bedroom mansion and get away with it. The appeal went to a government official after the council wanted it demolished and the minister went in favour of the person who has no regards for rules and regulations.

You are worried about this just take a look at the link

http://www.yap.eu.com/issues/2006January.pdf

http://www.thepressnewspaper.co.uk/NewsDetails.asp?id=913&text=mr yaqoob

This stinks

At the time this was going on a person who tarmaced his crazy golf walk way was forced to rip it up due to no planning permission

Just had same thing, planning refused for dormer, took prefab garage down, put dormer up, 8 weeks later planning for garage granted and garage is back up.
Ours was prefab detached from house and electrics done by part P sparks so no building regs req

MickWozzy said:
You want to take a look at a guy who had plans to renovate a 3 bedroom house and then totally ignore the plans and basically demolish the house and build a 9 bedroom mansion and get away with it. The appeal went to a government official after the council wanted it demolished and the minister went in favour of the person who has no regards for rules and regulations.

You are worried about this just take a look at the link

http://www.yap.eu.com/issues/2006January.pdf

http://www.thepressnewspaper.co.uk/NewsDetails.asp?id=913&text=mr yaqoob

This stinks

At the time this was going on a person who tarmaced his crazy golf walk way was forced to rip it up due to no planning permission

Blimey, what an ugly looking gaff. Although I can't see the point of tearing down a building if the construction is up to scratch, but breaches like this shouldn't go unpunished, a hefty fine or something. No, they should be obliged to provide a room for a homeless member of the community.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back