Floor insulation in garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to start work converting my integral garage into a habitable room. The house is a 1960's bungalow, built with solid concrete floors. The garage has the same concrete floor at the same level as in the rest of the house.

Those nice chaps at Building Control want me to put down 50mm of Kingspan or Celotex on top of the existing concrete with a chipboard floor on top of that in order to meet Part L of the regs. That's going to give me a nice step up into my new lounge which everyone will fall over. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions that would meet with the regs and avoid the problem?

And before you ask, taking up the existing concrete floor in the garage is out - it's thick, hard, and there is an existing load bearing wall down one side of the garage that sits on it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back