garage conversion floor.

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the building inspector now says we don't need to dig up the concrete garage floor for the conversion to lounge. Does this sound right......visqueen first...then grit sand..then kingspan...then visqueen ...then chipboard...correct order ? Is it grit sand or ordinary building sand ? How do I ensure level is the same as the existing house ?
Cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You don't need any sand, and you don't need the second layer of polythene above the insulation

And unless the garage floor is absolutely level you need to think about how you get the floorboards level

Sponsored Links
Cheers Woody,
Am using chipboard for the floor as opposed to floorboards....and the floor isn't level.....so believe the sand is to get a level floor ! Make sense ?

I'd be concerned with using sand as it will dry out to, well, dry sand and so could move about under load

Think about adding some cement to it.

But then you end up messing about trying to get it all level, and then when you put the insulation boards down, they never ever lie flat, and your floating floor becomes a bit of a bouncy dipping floor

So consider an alternative such as spanning some timber across as floor joists with insulation between and under them, and then you get a much more solid floor

Not enough depth to be honest mate. Building inspector wants ....visqueen down on top of garage floor...then kingspan...then, I'm sure he said chipboard..or was it plywood ? Sure he mentioned grit sand though to make good uneven garag
e floor..or am I hearing things ?

Another building inspector calls today as original is on hols...he says we don't need insulation on the old concreted garage floor as not much depth !! So is it now..visqueen and chipboard or visquuen and sand to level, then chipboard ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back