Build a Sofa or Armchair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi E veryone ...

... its been a while since i've posted or been on the site so a big hello to you all! :)

I've been thinking about building a sofa (although it may prove to be beyond me!). I've seen and read articles on the internet about using metal springs or a "streatched cloth" onto which the (seating) cushions are laid.

However, I was thinking about this and was wondering whether it would work just as well, if not possibly be more durable, if the base on which the "sitting cushions" go is made of slats similar to what you get on beds (on which the mattress sits). Alternatively, it could be a solid plank e.g. sheet of mdf or plywood.

I'd be really grateful to hear your thoughts and any advice on the above.

Thanks a lot!

Zigs :p

Sponsored Links
i make a load off garden seats and comfy soffas from old wooden beds
reduce the side rails to 18" 3x4" no12s to hold the front into the cut side rail
with a central back to front support to tie it all in together and slats side by side no gap
they last around 3 to 5 years with only the odd screw added to hold together any glue joints that come loose

intrnals made the same but the width off the cussions/foam

Hi Big All

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any reason for having the slats with no gaps?

Also, for the arms, sides and backs i was thinking of using plywood cut to size, screwed to frame (should this be 2x2, 3x2 or 4x2?) and then with a thin foam glued to it before upholstering it. The back of the seat would then have upholstered cushions (loose ones) for the back.

Does that sound ok to you?

Also, do the slats last 3-5 yrs on the internal and external seats you make, or do the internals last any longer?

Thanks again!

Z

well a 5mm gap just for drainage
inside they will last for as long as the upholstry survives with several re-upholsters

for the inside mdf would be better than ply as it dosnt splinter

2x2 should be fine

on edges off contact like the arms inside edge and the base front top you will need rounder edges and extra padding assuming your fully upholstering it

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Big All

Is there any reason for using slats with no spaces instead of a sholid sheet of 18 or 25 mm mdf?

Also, I have read that there are different types of foam for the cushions and sides, backs, etc. (i'm hoping to upholster the whole thing). Can you recommend any particular types/suppliers (I'm hoping for the sort of thing you get in sofas sold in shops).

I've heard of a "loose filler" that some ppl also add onto the foam before upholstering it ... is this necessary/does it help make it more comfortable?

Thanks again!

Z

its just using up materials boards fine

sorry upholstery not my forte

try a new thread "upholstering a home make sofa carcas" or somthing along those lines

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back