Build over agreement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help?
I have had a provisional build over agreement from water board. Everything is now done and buildings certificate issued. Extension completed a month ago. Someone mentioned i need to get a cctv report after the works were complete so i have done that now but the drainage guy said the pipe changes in size as its a connector (so small connector connecting to bigger pipes) and this would require remedial effects and that the water board will not approve this once the report is sent to them

my question is what do i do?

- ask the builder to redig the middle of the house to change the pipe connection (will this be his cost or mine?) or will this be building inspector cost as he approved it all?
- not say anything (if future if i do sell the house then get indemnity insurance for the buyer) and do periodic checks or rodding to ensure no blockages

this is really stressing me out so any helpful information i would sincerely appreciate

Sponsored Links
Normally you should have carried out the CCTV survey before works to verify that the drains are in good condition, and if the pipes were broken or leaking then that would needed to be remedied beforehand.

A CCTV survey post-completion is solely for the purpose of verifying that your work has not damaged the pipes. It is not for upgrading or modernising or altering or anything else.

What does your agreement actually state?

Does the cctv survey not go to yourself first? I'm certain they wouldn't send it directly to water company or council unless you used the water company themselves to do the cctv survey

Have a review first and see what the defect is actually presented as in detail

Then maybe ask the builder if he made the alterations or existing

Is this section of pipe existing or laid as part of your extension?
When you applied for the buildover, did the water board not cctv the lines? They normally do - it's included in the application fee.
When you say 'someone mentioned' (you needed a cctv survey) was that someone down the pub or someone from the water board?

Sponsored Links
They should have been called for the second CCTV survey directly after the 'build over' before the next level of bricks were laid, in case of scenarios like this.

When you applied for the buildover, did the water board not cctv the lines? They normally do - it's included in the application fee.
When you say 'someone mentioned' (you needed a cctv survey) was that someone down the pub or someone from the water board?
With a self certification (if the WA offers this) the applicant just agrees to carry out a CCTV survey and rectify any damage, or just all pipework being built over without needing a CCTV. There is no requirement to pass the CCTV report to the WA, and they don't check or ask for it.

With a full application, the applicant is responsible for the CCTV survey. Our main WA, Severn Trent, used to require applicants to use their nominated contractors for CCTV, but that changed a good few years ago. The WA requires the report as part of the application process.

Unless the regional WAs agreements differ?

Must be different depending on the authority. All build-overs in the Wessex authority require an application, they only allow self certification for building near.

Normally you should have carried out the CCTV survey before works to verify that the drains are in good condition, and if the pipes were broken or leaking then that would needed to be remedied beforehand.

A CCTV survey post-completion is solely for the purpose of verifying that your work has not damaged the pipes. It is not for upgrading or modernising or altering or anything else.

I have had a CCTV survey before works and pipes were all good condition except a private pipe so that was ignored by the water board. The water board have given provisional agreement. So we've moved the manhole to outside the new building section and put an inspection chamber there.

The second post works survey carried out by the drainage guy said the builder has used a U turn bend/junction 4inch instead of a 6 inch to connect the pipes and that this wouldn't pass with the board.

Hope that makes sense

Agreement states we need to replace a 150mm pipe which we have.
builder has put a junction of 110mm instead of 150mm

Yes they did CCTV the lines on the first survey and said certain conditions must be met. But the builder has put two 110mm smaller junctions in so one side goes to the inspection chamber and the other to the toilet downstairs.(newly built)

The CCTV drainage guy said because he's used a smaller junction to connect the bigger pipes there's a ridge where some water sits and that the board would probably not pass it.

With a self certification (if the WA offers this) the applicant just agrees to carry out a CCTV survey and rectify any damage, or just all pipework being built over without needing a CCTV. There is no requirement to pass the CCTV report to the WA, and they don't check or ask for it.

With a full application, the applicant is responsible for the CCTV survey. Our main WA, Severn Trent, used to require applicants to use their nominated contractors for CCTV, but that changed a good few years ago. The WA requires the report as part of the application process.

Unless the regional WAs agreements differ?
So I have had the first survey done approving provisionally the buildover and it's the second survey that's coming up with issues.

So in essence, the work has been completed contrary to the agreement?

In which case, if the builder knew about the requirements of the agreement but did not conform then he is responsible for the consequences.
If you did not advise the builder of the agreement criteria, and he has installed an otherwise compliant drain then he is not liable.

Whether building control approved the drain or not is no help. However, if the drain has been installed to a recognised standard (BS or EN etc) then you could use that as an argument.

If the main [shared] drain is in 150mm and it is your sole connection to it which is100mm, then it wont be a problem. If a 150mm drain is being reduced to 100mm downstream, then that would be a concern.

Hi all/Woody,

So having a look at all the conditions set by the WA the builder has i think met them. i have tried to find wherever i can about not being able to reduce in size and i cant find anything that says this.

Builder was advised of all the requirements of the build over agreement and a copy was also sent to the building control inspector.

So having had a look at the cctv footage the camera goes down a 150mm pipe (public sewer pipe) then to a preformed pvc 110mm inch junction then goes back to a 150mm pipe (public sewer pipe) downstream

Question: Do you think they will make me dig out the inside of my kitchen area or are there ways around to remedy this?

Question: if it had to be dug up then will my foundations be ok?

Question - if i didnt submit the second survey how likely is it that they will chase the second cctv survey for post approval - has anyone had the WA chase you for it

Question - do i need to submit the second survey before or after buildings regs issue certificate as building control inspector did not ask for it

super anxious :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back