Build over or near sewer

Any shared drains are usually public sewers and are almost certainly Thames Water's responsibility.

Helpful guide: http://secure.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde/xbcr/corp/building-over-a-public-sewer.pdf

You can no longer build over a Thames Water manhole, you will have to apply to move it along the sewer or install a manhole laterally connected to the shared sewer. (e.g. see diagram 2 on page 7).

Private sewers servicing just you, you can do what you like (still require Building Regs compliance/signed off). You can build over a private manhole and double seal, but often best to avoid and just rod from inside if possible when necessary.

Sponsored Links
Just to deviate the planning issue, in your second manhole picture that looks like Japanies knotweed.

Sponsored Links
Any shared drains are usually public sewers and are almost certainly Thames Water's responsibility.

Helpful guide: http://secure.thameswater.co.uk/cps/rde/xbcr/corp/building-over-a-public-sewer.pdf

You can no longer build over a Thames Water manhole, you will have to apply to move it along the sewer or install a manhole laterally connected to the shared sewer. (e.g. see diagram 2 on page 7).

Private sewers servicing just you, you can do what you like (still require Building Regs compliance/signed off). You can build over a private manhole and double seal, but often best to avoid and just rod from inside if possible when necessary.

thanks for the reply.
so if i wish to move a private manhole i have to inform a building regs officer? is that chargeable?

right so a private manhole can be double sealed. thanks for telling me, i thought all manholes had to be moved out.

Yes private manholes serving just your property can be internal.

I'd expect drainage works to be notifiable but if you're doing an extension then presumably you are already be getting an Approved Inspection of the Local Authority to sign off the works - they will do drainage as part of that service.

an architect told me to do my application in 2 parts. one part is permitted development - it's this part that will be near a shared sewer.

the other part which i need to get householder planning permission will go over private drains.

If you need a build over it doesn't matter if the work is PD or planning, you still need to do it.

(As an aside if your two extensions touch then splitting PD/planning doesn't work.)

If you need a build over it doesn't matter if the work is PD or planning, you still need to do it.

(As an aside if your two extensions touch then splitting PD/planning doesn't work.)
thanks for the reply - luckily I decided not to make them touch without knowing above! (They were supposed to touch originally).

Yes I have already emailed thames water and they said according to their records I can build without an agreement as my build is not near anything, but if I come across a shared drain I must contact them.

If I get permission for the PD then I will have to do the application for a build near.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back