Builder any good at flashing?

Sponsored Links
Interesting, just to point out, this is not my extension but that of my neighbour. I am assessing the quality of their work to make a judgement as to whether it is worth getting a quote from them for my planned extension.

So.... out of 10, how good a job is this? Is it a purely cosmetic issue or a case of bad workmanship. Would there be any issues further down the line? Any other opinions on it?

Also, out of interest, I note that some of the lead flashing on my existing property, although visible on the brickwork, is hidden under the roof tiles, what is this method called? It is a more preferable, better way of flashing?

Sponsored Links
Individual soakers and step flashing is for slate and small plain tiles really.
The job isn't as good as it should be but looks dry enough. It doesn't look like he owns a lead dresser!

A proper roofer is the best idea.

soakers_zpsa39fd1f2.jpg

Photo0115_zpsf9368da3.jpg

Individual soakers and step flashing is for slate and small plain tiles really.
The job isn't as good as it should be but looks dry enough. It doesn't look like he owns a lead dresser!

A proper roofer is the best idea.

Ah! that would make sense as my tiles are plain clay, so that is why the flashing is hidden. I much prefer the "hidden" method aesthetically though.

Can you really tell it is a builder and not a "proper roofer" that has done this...anything else give it away or poorly finished?

Please excuse my ignorance ban-all-sheds. I assume you are specifically referring to where the lead has been chased into the brickwork/pointing ?

Or are you referring to the brickwork itself, as that brickwork is the original 1930s house....

What this looks like is a classic case of the general builder who has a go at everything....the lead is dressed badly, the sealant is messy, the pointing on the hips is messy just a few things in such a small area. Imagine what the job looks like as a whole.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back