Builder taking too much time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I am looking for some advise on here. I was stupid enough to employ a builder through a very close friend of mine to do some work in the house. People make mistakes and this is one big mistake i have made in my life and regretting it badly.
I showed him around and told him exactly what all to do. Work included skimming whole house, new kitchen, bathroom, tiles in kitchen and bathroom, painting whole house, wardrobes and rewiring house.
He told me he will take 4 weeks to do all this work, which should have been done around August 1st week, we left our rented property on 2nd week of august and I kept telling them that I have to leave the rented house so I have given the landlord a notice to leave. Well 2nd week of august I went to see and the house was still in mess and lot of work had still to be done. I asked for some extension from my landlord and he told me he cant do more than a week as someone is already coming in in 3rd week so I told the builder the same. 3rd week comes and still no progress, finally I went and stayed in a hotel and told him that he will bear the cost. Then in September I told him I am moving in the house, though it was not really somewhere you can live still but i moved in as I was paying too much in BnB. One month more and the work is still not complete, infact no where close to completion, my partner is pregnant and that causes me more stress coz at the time she is supposed to eat healthy we are forced to live on packed meals and nothing else.
There was no contract so I dont know what my rights really are, I know lot of you would be harsh on me but I am really in a mess and would really hope you guys can help me and tell me what my rights are. FTB and trusted a friend to employ him that was my fault.
I called two more builders in and asked them and both told me it is a 4 week job. We are close to 3 months now and work is still incomplete. I have even asked him to leave but he wouldnt as I have paid him half and he has finished 80% work but the work is really untidy.
When we were giving him the work he said he will get 5 people to work and finish it in 4 weeks and now even in one month there has always been 1 person.
Please if someone can give me genuine advise, I would really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a right mess and to be honest I can't see any quick way out of it. You could say he's in breach of contract and throw him out but it's never that easy with building work and it will probably prolong things by ten times. The safer option is to give him a revised target date with a strict understanding that failure to keep on schedule will result in you terminating the contract. If he still doesn't get on with it then you could happily kick him off the job. Do it in writing with a list of the failed target dates. You then need to deal with any poor work. Make a list of what you are unhappy with and make it clear you expect those items to be made good.

Hi John

Thanks for your reply, I have checked the CAB website and as per that it states that if there is no contract then they see a reasonable time to complete that work. 3 months for all this is way too much. I prepared a contract now and will put it in front of him on saturday but I have doubts he would be ready to sign it as he is only at loss if he does so. I dont have to pay him a huge amount if i see the deductions I have to make for my almost 3 weeks stay in hotel and he knows about it as in last discussion too I told him that I will deduct all that from your money and also the finished work, whatever is finished is in a terrible state, the loft was insulated and coz of the rewiring that all is in a mess so work is everywhere to be done but if its only one person from 9 to 530 working then not a lot is done in that time and hence my growing frustration.

This was the biggest mistake I have done yet in my life and regretting every second of it now specially with 6 month pregnant women staying at construction site. We somehow forced them to finish the bedrooms so that we can start living but the conditions are really inhabitable for anyone to stay.

Sponsored Links
Never mind eh. I'm sure he was cheap. Was he Polish? Oh and no-way could that lot have been done by one man in a month. Is he qualified to do the electrics? Gas? You payed peanuts - and guess what you got?

He is working at a fixed price not day rate and neither was he cheap, I got 4 quotes he was the most expensive of them but I negotiated a lower price which was still 10% more than the cheapest but only thinking that he knows my mate since 10 years and has been in building works since 30 years or atleast that is what he says, but my mate knows him since 10 years and he met him for a building work project only at that time and he said he had done really nice work, he also spoke to him few times and told him off and even said that consider the fact that there is a pregnant women there but he just doesnt have any concerns about anything, well certainly he wouldnt be but I just want to get rid of him, I will get another builder to do the remaining work I just dont want him in my house anymore.

Who's fault is it that she's pregnant?

It's quite simple how this should work.

1. Builder completes piece of work
2. You pay
3. Repeat if necessary

The problem happens when you don't split up the work into small chunks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back