Do builders ever work for free?

Sledge; I'm not sure I understand the comparison or point you're trying to make?

Sponsored Links
I have a very close friend who is a small site property developer. He employs a small but dedicated team of trades which he’s kept going for over 15 years now & will bend over backwards to keep them employed as they would be almost impossible to replace if they ventured elsewhere.

I (& a couple of others) usually have a backlog of non time critical work (both at home & elsewhere) on small projects which can be drip fed when his sites are slack. The rates I get are good & he won’t cover much beyond his overheads but it keeps his trades employed & on board. It can be a bit unpredictable but it’s a life saver for him & it suites me.

I think it’s unusual for a builder to offer such a deal to someone he doesn’t know outside the trade but you’ll get a good deal if he’s genuine. It’s cash only as I'll be paying for the materials & his blokes direct; but please don’t try taking the priss! ;)

Quick update.

I was still unsure whether I wanted to do this. The builder agreed to do it for £17k and so I decided to go for it. I didn't think I'd get it for that price again if I decided to do it in the future.

He says there is no real profit in it for him, I must say I'm pretty sure there probably is but thats fine.

The spec is 7.5m x 3.5m, cavity walls, external finish in brick. Double pitched roof, walls and roof to be insulated.

Foundations are 6 concrete padstones of 1m square and 2m deep, and then 6 steel beams.

It will have two double glazed double doors and two windows.

Electricity and lighting of course.

Inside plasterboard, skimmed etc.

Thanks

Just make sure you pay him in stages & then only enough for materials to keep his trades going & pay their weekly wages! ;)

Sponsored Links
Off-topic, but I'm still bemused by Sledge's response. Anyone getting a point that I missed?

I once built a small retaining wall for a mate for nothing(5 blocks on side high by 16 long inc handballing a foundation)- he got me a 4 pack of Magners as it was a warm June day and when I'd finished putting on the slate copings I turned and found he'd drunk 2 of them.... :eek:
Don't do it often now....!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back