Builders keep me right here

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The job my builder is doing is £1400 to knock a wall down and install bi folding doors. He took £600 deposit for drawings and rsj.

Then it entailed that we needs a new smoke alarm in the room. Extra cost of £250 for the installation, testing and certificate. The spark is coming through the builder. Builder says I need to pay the spark for his work on the day. Is this normal?

So outstanding balance for the builder is £800. He says at the end of the job he takes 80% of that. Then 20% remains until the building warrant completion certificate is complete. Again, is this normal?

Never dealt with builders before to this scale!

Sponsored Links
So outstanding balance for the builder is £800. He says at the end of the job he takes 80% of that. Then 20% remains until the building warrant completion certificate is complete. Again, is this normal?
We expect full payment upon completing the job and when the customer is satisfied. Building control will have passed any work we have done by this stage, so it seems logical that full payment and not 20% less would be more appropriate. It is the customers responsibility to chase the completion certificate.

Agree, small jobs can be a faff.

We expect full payment upon completing the job and when the customer is satisfied. Building control will have passed any work we have done by this stage, so it seems logical that full payment and not 20% less would be more appropriate. It is the customers responsibility to chase the completion certificate.

Agree, small jobs can be a faff.

The builder said that the SE completes the completion certificate.... (Not myself)

Sponsored Links
It is the customers responsibility to chase the completion certificate.
That seems a bit mean nosey, seeing as you are the one dealing with BC? Or do you leave it to the punter to arrange inspections too?
No. We arrange all inspections relevant to our work.
We have usually long gone by the time the building is actually 'complete'.
Sometimes it can be years before say a shower room is furnished or a utility room etc.
There are many things that can cause a delay to the completion certificate being issued, such mundane things like an extractor fan or a smoke detector, all of which are not my domain.

Sorry, but no. Forsaking payment whilst waiting many years for a customer to get his house in order is not my way of doing business.

If however a builder decides to take on the whole project and take sole responsibility for the B.C. side of it, then so be it. I'm pretty certain in these circumstances that the builder will have his bases covered. He will have a mark-up in place to cover the hassle and will ensure that he has the ability to complete ALL works relevant to the inspections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back