Builder set cable into concrete with no conduit.

I don't think you need to worry, since I can't really see (m)any of us arguing that the buried cable constituted 'good workmanship', can you?
Yes - I can, assuming they are to be consistent. A lot of people believe that as it's a struggle to find another reg it contravenes it's an equal struggle to say it contravenes 134.1.1. A lot of people believe that you may not use 134.1.1 on its own - you have to be able to say "contravenes 134.1.1 and xxx.yy.zz".

Sponsored Links
I don't think you need to worry, since I can't really see (m)any of us arguing that the buried cable constituted 'good workmanship', can you?
Yes - I can, assuming they are to be consistent. A lot of people believe that as it's a struggle to find another reg it contravenes it's an equal struggle to say it contravenes 134.1.1. A lot of people believe that you may not use 134.1.1 on its own - you have to be able to say "contravenes 134.1.1 and xxx.yy.zz".
I suppose that's all true, but I would expect (hope?) that this case is probably a bit different from more controversial ones which have been discussed. I think that, if we can't find a reg that it definitely contravenes, most of us feel that it is contravening 'a reg which should be there' - and, in that particular situation, are probably more happy to use 134.1.1 alone to compensate for that apparent deficiency in the regs.

The 'controversial' cases have mainly been those which seem to comply will all regulations but are 'not nice' in an aesthetic sense.

Kind Regards, John

The 'controversial' cases have mainly been those which seem to comply will all regulations but are 'not nice' in an aesthetic sense.
They're only controversial because some people believe that as long as something doesn't conflict with the regs it must be OK. Not everything has to be spelled out in a standard - that's why competent people can use their experience and judgement.

They're only controversial because some people believe that as long as something doesn't conflict with the regs it must be OK. Not everything has to be spelled out in a standard - that's why competent people can use their experience and judgement.
I don't disagree with that as a generalisation. However, as I said, the recent 'controversial' cases have been ones in which, AFAIAA, no-one was claiming that there was anything 'electrically wrong', but nevertheless considered that they were non-compliant with BS7671 (aka 'the Wiring Regulations"), by virtue of 134.1.1, because they were not aesthetically pleasing. I think that's a bit different.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Is there an Earth in that cable?

I certainly doesn't look like it. However there is a gas pipe in the drywall right next to the socket that might have been used as an earth, if that is at all possible. I can't actually check that though.

Did you make the temporary repair, or the carpenter? If the earth is there it seems to have been trimmed right back or tucked away from sight, both slightly odd. Can you see where the cable goes to or comes from and check there is an earth at that end, a socket maybe?

I'm rather surprised that you haven't yet mentioned 134.1.1 - or do you feel that what we are talking about is 'good workmanship'? :)
And the value of doing that when this forum is full of shouty people who are firmly convinced that that regulation has no independent existence, and that as long as <whatever> does not explicitly contravene another regulation, it cannot by definition contravene 134.1.1 would be what?

One assumes that you like a good argument?

This is the link off the ring main in the kitchen to the workshop conversion. (The WC and adjoining hallway is all part and parcel of the conversion).

What is on the ends of this cable - how is it 'linked' in the kitchen, and what items does it supply in the workshop?

Is there an Earth in that cable?

I certainly doesn't look like it. However there is a gas pipe in the drywall right next to the socket that might have been used as an earth, if that is at all possible. I can't actually check that though.

Did you make the temporary repair, or the carpenter? If the earth is there it seems to have been trimmed right back or tucked away from sight, both slightly odd. Can you see where the cable goes to or comes from and check there is an earth at that end, a socket maybe?

The carpenter did the quick fix. I'll check with him when he arrives later.

I've also just taken one of the sockets off the wall and there is indeed a correctly wired earth in the back of it.

Hi everyone,

The carpenter confirmed there was an earth which was hidden in the pictures.

This is what it looked like yesterday when I got home:

Hopefully that job is good enough because today it looks like this:

I guess those JB's are accessible?

Not terribly well fixed to the wall... ;)

I guess those JB's are accessible?

Not terribly well fixed to the wall... ;)

I've also just taken one of the sockets off the wall and there is indeed a correctly wired earth in the back of it.
But is there continuity between that and the MET in the consumer unit?
I would obviously be nice to know that for sure, but there's really no particular reason to suspect that there isn't, particularly now that the broken cable has been repaired (hopefully including the CPC!). AIUI, the question was really only asked because some people were worried that they couldn't see a CPC in the chopped cable (even though I think it a bit far fetched to imagine that a cable without a CPC, even if it could be found, would have been installed last year!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back