Conduit for running cables in solid floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're going to run 9" skirting in our lounge and TV room.

Because of the rubble stone wall issue (see other thread) I am considering mounting the sockets at skirting level in either metal pattresses or dry-lining boxes and running the cable up to them from the floor.

I have just taken the floor up to install a DPM and UFH, we are back to screed level now and the floor covering will be sandstone flags. Before the flags are laid, I could run conduit around the perimiter of the room to take the ring and the cable for 5A round pin lighting points (so that I can switch table lamps on from a wall switch).

This would mean that the cable would be running vertically to each socket rather than horizontally between each socket.

Is this worth doing? Compliant with building regs? Should I use a galv cable tray or plastic? What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
flexi_r5_c11.jpg

:D http://tpwcc.com/features.html

This is the room that needs a new ring main.

It's going to be flush pointed then limwashed. You can just about see an example of the finish as the end-wall has already been pointed.

My wife does not want to see conduit or wiring going up/down the wall. So we have a problem as to where to run the ring.

As the walls are so uneven, there is however, a gap between the blue expansion foam around the perimeter of the screed and the DPM.

The whole floor will be covered with 2" flagstones.

Can I run the run around the perimeter of the room and up to each socket (which will be mounted in 9" skirting)?

If your providing skirting why not consider fitting the skirting with a 20mm baton against the wall.

The baton would then give you a void behind the skirting that could take any particular cable requirements behind it. This would also allow the cable to pop out the baton above skirting height and have sockets mounted above skirt level.

Since you have effectively made a trunking / containment system you would also be able to run sat / TV / phone / alarm / data cabling behind the trunking via seperation with another baton midway up the skirting.

OK the skirting instal cost would rise, but the offset of this is simple TE cable and an ability in 30 years time to renew the wiring system without major dig / works to the floor you intended to run the cable under.

47000_46672_630_93251899_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
That stonework looks very nice indeed :D

What depth did you go with the screed? Also curing before turning on the UFH - 1mm per day?

Does that not become an out of zone concealed cable though?

Yes it does.

But 17th 2008 522.6.6 (iv) mentions "be mechanically protected to prevent penetration of the cable by nails, screw and the like"

Could we debate if a 20mm thick skirting could be considered as suitable mechanical protection.

:)

That stonework looks very nice indeed :D

What depth did you go with the screed? Also curing before turning on the UFH - 1mm per day?

Thanks, we hacked off about 2 inches of that nasty cement inside and out in order to plaster/point/render with lime. :eek:

The screed is 60mm, the UFH won't be on until September. I installed it in 2 stages, stage 1 (Kitchen/Utility/WC/Study) was working through the winter, stage 2 (Lounge/TV Room) will be ready for this winter...YUM.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back