Cable conduit under screed flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am project managing my own house extension and need to know when to arrange for the screed floor to be laid. I know that the plumbing will run under the screed but do the electrians bury the ground floor ring main in a conduit before the screed is laid too? Or is it chased in at skirting level?

Sponsored Links
usually with a concrete floor downstairs cables for sockets are dropped down from the ceiling void

it really depends on what the architect says, and can it be done

as for
usually with a concrete floor downstairs cables for sockets are dropped down from the ceiling void what if its a flat roof?

sorry i disagree with that one

You could still possibly have a void even if it is a flat roof. I had on the back of my house a very large summer house which consisted as single storey flat roof. The wires all came from a small void in the ceiling. It is now knocked down and i am building a double story extension with conservatory.

i don't really like the idea of burying cables under screed/concrete doesn't rest right with me.

Having said that, there was a tv programme called grand designs. they laid miles of cable in the floor in this trench, the trench then had a, what seemed steel lid that ran all the way down the trench and then they just lushisly poured the concrete or should i say pumped the concrete all over it. I guess there would have been inspection places etc but it looked pretty much buried to me.... Is this allowed?

Sponsored Links
I would say so, yes. As long as provision is made for drawing in replacement cables, I see no problem.

After all, conduit sunk in screed is just that. You can access one end and the other and draw in cables using a fishtape or the existing cables. No problem.

so long as there are access points at any major turn/junction and the space factor is not exceeded it is pefercly acceptable

i don't belive there are any permitted routes for cables in conduit just under a floor surface

so the conduit should definately be metal and earthed

it should be galavanised conduit, and by design it is earthed.

Cables may be run under a floor as long as they 'are unlikely to be damaged by the intended use of the floor'

PVC conduit is used very often, maximum of 2 90deg bends though remember :)

I have only run cables under floors in commercial properties, and always opt for galv conduit.

A flat roof will still be able to conceil cables during the build.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back