Network Cable in conduit under screed

Don't forget that network cables Cat5/6/7 etc, have minimum bend radii, so you need to make sure your bends don't violate these. Bending these cables too tightly, or kinking them during handling, causes an impedance discontinuity which results in signals being reflected, which can cause data errors on the link.
True - although I'm not so sure it would notice in relation to the OP's apparent intended use (seemingly mainly TVs and audio).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If he thinks he is going to need Cat7 (or 7A) then he must be thinking of running some very demanding stuff over it. Although it does not offer any more bits/sec than does Cat 6/6A.

If he thinks he is going to need Cat7 (or 7A) then he must be thinking of running some very demanding stuff over it. Although it does not offer any more bits/sec than does Cat 6/6A.
At this stage I don't know. Cat6 is perfectly adequate for my current needs, if in future I need something else with the suggested conduit solution I will have that choice.

Now some last minute nerves. 20mm conduit for two Cat6 cables. Does that sound reasonable or should I be looking at 25mm?

Using the wonderful http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/smaller-circles-in-larger-circle-d_1849.html and assuming 20mm pvc conduit has an inner diameter of 17mm and the CAT6 cable a diameter of 5.7mm this should comfortably house 2 cat6 cables. Anyone disagree?

Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 18.47.01.png

... assuming 20mm pvc conduit has an inner diameter of 17mm and the CAT6 cable a diameter of 5.7mm this should comfortably house 2 cat6 cables. Anyone disagree?
It ought to take two fairly readily - but as for your diagram showing five, that's all very well if all the cables are straight and bear exactly the same relationship to one another throughout their length, but the moment that (as is almost inevitable) they get 'twisted' or start crossing over one another, all bets are off!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Don't forget if these are made up leads, to stagger them so the plugs are not next to each other.

... assuming 20mm pvc conduit has an inner diameter of 17mm and the CAT6 cable a diameter of 5.7mm this should comfortably house 2 cat6 cables. Anyone disagree?
It ought to take two fairly readily - but as for your diagram showing five, that's all very well if all the cables are straight and bear exactly the same relationship to one another throughout their length, but the moment that (as is almost inevitable) they get 'twisted' or start crossing over one another, all bets are off!

Kind Regards, John
Yes sorry, this will be two cables only. That only shows what you could have in a very very ideal world.

You will comfortably get 2 CAT6 cables in a 20mm conduit, assuming they're cut ends. The only time it might get a little bit tight is around fittings, as they never quite line up with the conduit, and can cause a lip that cables love to snag on.

Don't forget if these are made up leads, to stagger them so the plugs are not next to each other.
Not made up, I will terminate after, or rather a friend of mine who does this for a living will for a few beers and any leftover cable. Thanks for the advice

You will comfortably get 2 CAT6 cables in a 20mm conduit, assuming they're cut ends. The only time it might get a little bit tight is around fittings, as they never quite line up with the conduit, and can cause a lip that cables love to snag on.
Thank you. Lubricate and fingers crossed then.

Using the wonderful http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/smaller-circles-in-larger-circle-d_1849.html and assuming 20mm pvc conduit has an inner diameter of 17mm and the CAT6 cable a diameter of 5.7mm this should comfortably house 2 cat6 cables. Anyone disagree?
Not specifically.

But also run the sizes through this: http://www.rm-electrical.com/technical/conduit-and-trunking-capacity-chart/

You'll need to look at a few cable makers sites to find the typical OD of 6491X cable to pick the nearest size - at a guess 10mm².

Not specifically.

But also run the sizes through this: http://www.rm-electrical.com/technical/conduit-and-trunking-capacity-chart/

You'll need to look at a few cable makers sites to find the typical OD of 6491X cable to pick the nearest size - at a guess 10mm².

That is extremely useful. It's ok but tight. Wish I had known about this great link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back