Best route for cables in flat roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am about to pull the cabling for the sockets and lights in the extension I am building. The cables will run between the flat roof joists and this is where my question lies:-

Is it permissable/safe to pass the cables over the top of the joists so they cross the joists in the gap created by the batten between the roof deck and the joists to save drilling through.

If the above is not possible and I need to drill through the joists i will have between the joists foil backed polystyrene insulation sheets. Is it best to keep the cables above this insulation or below it (the insulation will be 120mm thick and the joists are 200mm so there is plenty of room for positioning).

Finally, I may need to run a cable through the floor screed (3" screed). Will the cable need to be protected e.g. conduit/capping before the screed is laid?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back