Builders hole not wide enough.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have opened up an old fire place. The arch had collapsed slightly so I have installed a concrete lintel below and patched the mortar up etc.

The builders hole is 62cm wide, this is not wide enough for the fake log burner we would like to install. Is it possible to widen the builders hole? Or are the bricks on the sides structural?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The whole chimney is structural, not just on the outside but the inside too. Without seeing it it’s hard to comment but generally if you want to make an opening wider you’ll need 150 bearing either side wider and the correct sized lintel to take whatever load you have above.

Two feet is about standard fireplace width.... there must be other faux burners on the market?

Thanks for the help, it's what I had thought.

We were hoping to fit a dimples opti smoke, but unfortunately it's to wide. They do a smaller one, buts not as nice looking. Have to look for another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back