Fireplace arch strength

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

On to another project in our home.
I have picked up some lime mortar and was planning to chisel out the old mortar on the arch (about an inch), then repoint to strengthen. As well as fill In the holes where bricks have been chipped.

My question is. Do you think this arch would be strong enough, or should we have a lintel installed above?

It will be exposed, with the rest of the chimney plastered.

I wasn't going to touch the bricks below till the arch is strengthened then careful remove them to see how the lintel further down has been installed. There appears to be a concrete slab that goes right back and sits on a new wall, just inside the old builders opening. I can't see if the slab is sitting on anything at the sides though.

Any help really appreciated as this is another first for me!!

Cheers,

Ruth

Attachments

• IMG_20211113_085029_1.jpg
    IMG_20211113_085029_1.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20211113_085053.jpg
    IMG_20211113_085053.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20211113_085115.jpg
    IMG_20211113_085115.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 183
Sponsored Links
Hope you dont mind me saying but could you please post pics with all the tools,bits and pieces etc cleared well out of the pics. The idea is to get clean pics of the fireplace the front and sdes of the chimney breast and any alcoves.
The arch is possibly supported by a metal bar acting as a kind of lintel.

What will be exposed?
Whats your purpose doing this work?
Is the slab you mention a back hearth?

Be aware of elec cables or devices and gas pipe and gas restrictor.

Aim is to open up the builders opening and have the original bricks inside.
Just for decoration and to make the room feel bigger. Will possibly have logs in.

The slab is the thing you can see in the picture pointing upwards. The wall with the brick missing is self standing and in front of the original wall. No electrical cables and the gas connector is to the side of the chimney breast and not in use.
IMG_20211113_170123.jpg
IMG_20211113_170055.jpg
IMG_20211113_170055.jpg
IMG_20211113_170123.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211113_170042.jpg
    IMG_20211113_170042.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 75
As mentioned above, have a look for a curved iron strap under the arch- it's there to keep the bricks in position, while the bricks are in position the arch won't fail.
All that new construction below the arch- try not to use too much sledgehammer to shift it, the lime mortar will be very dry and prone to crumbling under that sort of vibration

Sponsored Links
All that new construction below the arch- try not to use too much sledgehammer to shift it, the lime mortar will be very dry and prone to crumbling under that sort of vibration

The arch doesn't look all that well keyed into the sides, only cement holding, unless there is some steel in there.

The new pics are very helpful.
the infill brickwork below the arch, and all the fireplace backwall including the concrete thing can be removed. You will know when to stop to leaave the original supporting bricks in position.
the gas supply pipe and restrictor should be removed back to the branch off tee from the gas mains.

At some stage you will have to empty that half of the room - perhaps best to do it now so that you can pic the alcoves. It will also allow you to work comfortably.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back