Is a fireplace arch still acceptable or do I need a lintel as well?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Opening up the Builders space to install a multifuel stove and discovered the arch lintel which doesn't have a steel support as mentioned elsewhere. You can see how they just filled up with bricks on top on a "mini-lintel" but underneath the arch which is why the brickwork is ropey cos it's just filling space. Removed the fireback and the space seems to be 2 feet wide. Just enough space for a small stove I hope.
Hoping I can just keep the lintel as the brickwork and pointing seem good for a 1934 house!

IMG20230817153255.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
No iron bar but yes thankfully seems brickwork is sound since 1934...compared to some I've seen posted.
But the space is actually only 2 feet wide, 60cm. Regs say 6 inches each side of the stove but now I think that just means if the side is combustible materials not brick. My gap will only be 3inches with a small stove. Bit tight?

If the stove is a tight fit it won't be anywhere near as effective in outputing heat.

Sponsored Links
If the stove is a tight fit it won't be anywhere near as effective in outputing heat.
True but nothing to do. Widening would mean cutting through solid brick from top to bottom. Plan is to have it 6 inches onto the hearth with regulation clearance to the front edge. Then use those whisper quiet fans at the back or wherever to make the most. Plenty space back and top. Paying Hetas man to put the flu in etc.

Attachments

• IMG20230818124001.jpg
    IMG20230818124001.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 34
Found some stiff wire in upper bricks - for a previous flap or something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back