builders opening too small.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, i need to install an inset fire, and the builders opening is too low, by about 50mm. is there any 'easy' way of making it bigger, with out doing too much damage to the internal decor.

and before you all go.........."get a corgi"..........i am....

the opening is 500 (h) x 400 (w), but needs to be another 50mm higher...
there is a concrete lintel going over the top of the opening....

anyone got any idea's.......

Sponsored Links
hey, im more than happy to get the bolster and lump hammer out, but dont want to bring down the house.........lol the wife might get annoyed....

what would the concequences of cutting over half way through the lintel, or an i gonna have to put another one in.....and remove the old one....

Is it really a lintel as such, or just the shaped concrete bit you get - sloping backwards on the inside? If the latter, quite thin at 7cm or so 5cm up, I've trimmed a few without bovver, or bolster. I drilled a load of holes with a thin (5mm) sds bit, then a few taps with a hammer.

Sponsored Links
it is that sort, but i need 50mm, and thats over half the thickness of it. what i should have done is go out and buy a fire that would fit, instead ive 'aquired' all the bits............

What I have done before is to remove the concrete lintel and replace with thinner solid steel lintel or bar, gains you a few inches.

As there's no steel in them I doubt they're load-bearing at all. Wouldn't that be a lintel or arch of bricks higher up? Interesting point. Try gas-news.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back