Loft tank sizes - too small?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking up in our loft and thought I'd measure our header tank sizes, as the heating expansion tank looks a lot smaller than we had in our old victorian house.

The central heating expansion tank is roughly 430x300x300mm (W x D x H) in size - is this too small?

We have 7 rads in the house on an open vented system.

The cold water tank that feed the cylinder is a circular one that is 670x500mm in size (W x H).

The heating expansion tank is full of dark, murky water with a mouldy film on top - obviously the entire system needs to be cleansed and a refill with X100 or similar, but was wondering if it needed to be up-sized - a perfect time to do it I suppose if needed.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
Thanks Pete, much appreciated.

At the moment there is no proper lid on the tank, just a small piece of plywood laid on top. I presume it would be better to have a proper fitting lid?

If so, would it need to be tight fitting, or does it need to be able to breathe so to speak?

Sponsored Links
No lid that you fit will be tight fitting so that won't be a problem. Get something that will fit and stay put, insulate it and you should have no problems. There are some fairly inexpensive plastic tanks that you could fit if you wanted, but I would clean and use the one you have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back