Header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone has asked me to replace the domestic hot water header tank in their loft because it looks like it is made of asbestos (surely its not) and it's started to de-laminate. The house was built in 1948 and I think the tank is original. The outlet pipe is underneath on the bottom of the tank. The tank measures 635mm(L) x 480(W) x 585(H) which according to my calculations works out at about 40 gallons. However, when tank manufacturers quote capacities, I suspect they don't intend them to be filled to the very top! Am I correct? I see that Screwfix sell a 25 gallon tank which measures 690mm(L) x 515(W) x 520(H). Would this be a suitable replacement?
Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Its probably galvanized steel and if the tank is not supplying power shower etc and only hot water a 25 gallon would be fine

Go to your local plumbing store, tell `em how many people live there & he`ll probably give you a regular tank, it`s not a huge task, or just measure the one you got & replace the same.. how hard can it be really..how much milk do you put in your kid`s tea...jesus..

It could very well be asbestos, or asbestos cement which contains about 35% chrysotile asbestos. While this would be the least nasty form, you still have ot be careful. Worst thing to do with it would be saw it up!

If I remember correctly the Water regs stipulate 40 gallons for a house with gravity supplies to one bathroom.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
It could very well be asbestos, or asbestos cement which contains about 35% chrysotile asbestos. While this would be the least nasty form, you still have ot be careful. Worst thing to do with it would be saw it up!

If I remember correctly the Water regs stipulate 40 gallons for a house with gravity supplies to one bathroom.

Every `ouse that I`ve been bangs in regular tanks, fink it`s 114 litres per `ouse,, not sure, we replace every lead pipe in situ, replace all & give Landlord`s to every property. Gawd BLOIMEY!!

Don't forget to measure the size of the loft hatch as well! The original tanks were often put in before the ceilings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back