Moving and Replacing Expansion Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does the central heating expansion tank need to be a certain height in relation to other parts of the system e.g. boiler, hot water cylinder etc?

The reason I ask is because mine used to sit on an old water tank. When this was removed so I could get some pipework in for a new shower the builder kept the expansion tank in the same position by making a shelf across the roof joists.

It didn’t bother me at the time, but now I want to use the loft space for storage it would help if I could move the tank to loft floor level. But before doing this I need to know if there are any restrictions on height.
If it helps with the answer.

The hot water cylinder is in the room below the water tank, the boiler is on the ground floor at eye level. The highest radiator is the towel radiator in the bathroom below expansion tank.

Second question, if I can move the tank I will replace it as it looks fairly old. Do I need to get exactly the same size? Again, if it helps I have 14 radiators.

Would this be sufficient

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10011...-Tanks/Cold-Water-Tank-4gal-480-x-250-x-320mm

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
sitting it back on floor will be fine.
that tank will be ok you only need it quarter full.

Thanks for the quick reply.

One last thing that I forgot to ask. Will the pipe that feeds into the tank (upon expansion) need to be of a certain height? Or can I just extend the down pipe?
Will the increased height create too much of a splash? Or is that not an issue?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the quick replies seco services

Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back