builder's shoddy job on chimney?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I just want to get some feedback on whether the work done on my chimney is indeed shoddy. I had a damp interior chimney brest and a builder diagnosed this as the chimney needing rebuilding. It is approximately 7 feet tall. after a lot of money and a lot of scaffolding the chimney is now brand new, however the dampness has returned. i've been told by another builder that the chimney was only rebuilt from approximately 3 bricks up from the top of the roof and the flashing is old and deteriorated.
Should the original builder have rebuilt the chimney from the very base of the roof and included replacing the flashing as a matter of course? I just took his advice on why the interior was damp and didn't ask for details as he was a member of the master builders so I assumed he would know what to do. What can I do now... he doesnt think he has done anything wrong?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did you get a written quote listing what he was going to do?

No detailed quote, just an assurance that the dampness would stop. He was recommended and is not a cowboy as far as I could tell.

Sponsored Links
is it typical to rebuild a chimney from a few bricks up rather from the very base next to the slates on the roof?

If there was a water-penetration problem, re-building the chimney from above roof level would almost certainly not solve it. Water will be getting in via defective flashings, which lie adjacent to the tiles/slates.
It should have been possible to stop the water penetration by just attending carefully to the flashings, ie making sure they are all present and well-secured by pointing, and then perhaps pointing the chimney higher up, where necessary.
Unfortunately, re-building the chimney was a waste of time, unless the brickwork was noticeably in poor or dangerous condition.

Ok, this is actually a job done on my elderly neighbours house... what can I do to help get some of her money back? I have his name and mobile and a receipt (not itemised) but nothing else. I know that's not much but is there anything I can do???

As Nose. says - there is an IF in the equation - the builder may have genuinely thought/seen that the head of the chimney was dodgy and not been aware of the flashing issues :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back