Builders stuff left behind

skip companies have a tendency to remove their skips from customers who dont pay.....leaving the rubbish behind.

Sponsored Links
Yep definitely can’t go around doing that.
Probably dangerous driving and criminal damage not to mention the damages claim

Something tells me there is more to it than in the video.

The guy who parked the car there clearly done it on purpose, it wasnt just in front of the gate, it was on the driveway and from the fact the guy was already there when the forklift rocked up and his mate filming. There was opportunity for the guy to jump in the car and drive off. There was a clip after with the police and the bloke with the flipped car said to the police it's not my first rodeo with this (or something to that effect).

Regarding property left on your premises.
The law used to be you contacted the owner, (preferably by registered post to ensure delivery), giving them a set number of days, (used to be 14 minimum), to collect their goods/property or you could claim rightful ownership and keep/dispose of as you so desire. If you sell them you were entitled to keep all monies obtained from such sale.

As a teenager I ordered a record player from an advertisement in a Sunday paper. It duly arrived but no sound came from the speakers. I wrote and asked for a repair/replacement. They sent another record player, (same model etc), but did not mention anything about the 'faulty' one. Mt dad advised me to do the above and state if they didn't collect within 28 days from the date of the letter I would rightfully claim ownership and owe no money. They didn't collect so I claimed it. I also discovered the reason there was no sound was I had trapped the wires by the insulation! 2 record players for the price of one so my then girlfriend got a nice unexpected present. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Afaik Same thing if you purchase a new motor cycle you get a set period of time to pick it up from the dealers

I had a warning from them either take the bike or they would take ownership

Skips usually have a suppliers name on them, likewise rented power tools, portaloos - maybe give them a ring and explain the situation? Scaffold companies sometimes mark their equipment with rings of coloured paint, maybe another scaffolder could identify the owners?
I have managed to find the portaloo and skip companies and have come into new agreements with them, also with merchants and trades. But I have no idea about that scaffold.

The scaffolder's contract is with the builder, they cannot ask you for fees - they can though remove it, at which point you ought to start to pay their fees.
I believe they would be trespassing if they enter my property without permission. In addition even if I wanted to give it away, they would have to prove ownership to me. These are just steel poles and a few scaffold boards, there is no IDs on them. I asked legal advice from lawyers was told to call the police if anyone enters my land without permission. She said the goods do not become mine, but I can dispose of them.

The legal position is you have to follow the process defined in the Torts (interference with Goods) Act 1977 to serve the proper notices.
Yes we have sent multiple letters (recorded, registered) and emails to the builders to come collect their gear, giving them two weeks' notice, that was a few months ago now.

And the scaffold firm can't just come and take it away either.
One scaffolder said he'd expect someone to turn up at any time and create trouble, forcibly taking everything down or getting into fights with other workmen on site. He said I would have to sign a disclaimer that I authorise him to work on someone else's scaffold! Other scaffolders did not have such qualms.

was told to call the police if anyone enters my land without permission.
The police will inevitably use their favourite punchline: "Civil matter"
For a small chance of them attending, you have to say that they're either stealing something that belongs to you or they're being aggressive and you fear for your life.
Then maybe, only maybe, they'll send someone around.
Careful not to say or do anything that might even remotely antagonise the trespassers or you'll give a chance to the copper to arrest you.

Sponsored Links
Back