Cutting down scaffolding that's stopping roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're doing a semi-self build extension and have hit a bit of a hurdle I'm appreciate some advice on.

We got some guys in yesterday to start build the roof structure. When they turned up they pointed out out the scaffolding we've had put up has long poles directly next to the wall that will go through the edge of the roof and the soffits. The roofers have told us they need to be changed by Monday or they'll have to cut the poles down. We are relying on the roofers being able to finish the structure as planned or it will really mess up the project.

Now our scaffolders have been very difficult to get hold of recently. We've left them messages about this yesterday, but they tend not to return calls and usually do not answer the phone so I'm not entirely hopefull that we'll manage to actually speak to them.

The scaffolders saw our plans and are aware that we're using this scaffolding for the roofing as well as the brickwork, so as far as I'm concerned they should have been aware of this and fitted correct scaffolding inthe first place.

So basically, would it be acceptable to cut down the poles if we can't get them swapped out in time? Would this be ususal and are the scafffolders likely to charge us for the poles if we do this?

Thanks for any advice
Phil

Sponsored Links
There is probably not a (free-standing) scaffold that has not had the inner stanchions interfere with the soffit detail.

We always cut them off with a grinder.

The gaffer would rather lose a foot or two off a tube rather then send a crew out.

A pudlock scaffold, i.e. non free standing, needs no inner stanchions.

Great, thansk for the response. At least I now know this is a pretty common occurence so if we can't get in touch with him I won't worry too much about cutting the poles.

Give the scaffolders another chance to adjust the scaffold, if no joy then tell them you will cut the poles as its holding up your work.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back