building an overhead lighting gantry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a steel composite building & want to put in an overhead lighting gantry :http://www.viewfinderphotography.co.uk/product_view.php?prod_id=109.

It is possible to buy scaffolding fixers for the rails on this system, so my solution would be to build a gantry out of a mix of aluminium & steel scaffolding, with the weight of the gantry coming down through several steel scaffolding poles. I have been advised the building would be strong enough to take aluminium scaffolding tied to it. However I would prefer to offset most of the weight of the gantry through steel scaffolding supports, and just tie the gantry onto the building for stability. I would like to set the steel scaffolding into the base of the building. The base is a 6" fibreglass re-enforced concrete pad.

I have seen diamond circular cutters on the net, but would like advice on the best way to cut into the base & secure the scaffold poles. My plan at present is to hire from HSS or similar one of their diamond cutting core drills & cut maybe a 6" core into the base in which I put the scaffolding pole. Assuming I wont get an exact 'fit' of a drill for a scaffolding pole, I will need some way to tie the pole into the base, I am not sure where I can get the appropriate fixings to fix scaffolding to concrete in a vertical position or if I should attempt to use similar concrete & drill a larger hole & fill the scaffolding pole around with concrete.

I have to do all this through a 70 mm upper floor of wood panels, joists & polystyrene, so the less disruption to all that during this operation the better. Any suggestions ? thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back