Scaffolding query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm asking for a neighbour, if you had access issues and couldn't get full length poles round the back or side of a house for a reroof, could you safely make up a scaffold to roof level with a series of shorter poles and more joins?

I've in a semi detached house which is extended up to my boundary, my neighbour in the other side of the semi needs a reroof but their other side of the semi is joined to a parade of shops so no access.

Their is no access down my side of the house as its extended up to the boundary. Their plan was to go up my immediate neighbour's side, pass them though his garden to mine then to my neighbours having the reroof but he is refusing access.

I wondered if its possible to bring them through my house, but use shorter poles as there is limited turning space at the back of my house due to a garage. They are really nice neighbours so I want to help them if possible.

Cheers

Larry

Sponsored Links
Why can't the poles go through the neighbours own house?

Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 will secure them access to uncooperative neighbour's land, via a court injunction if they want to go down that route. The uncooperative neighbour will pay the costs.

Otherwise, scaffolding is designed by the scaffolding firm (not just made up on the hoof as many think), so you need to ask the scaffold firm if they can do that with the shorter poles you suggest.

Hi Woody,

Thank you for your insights, the layouts of our houses are slightly different, I believe you could get longer poles through my house as I have a straight line between my front and back doors which my neighbour does not.

The scaffolding folks are coming round tomorrow to have a look at whats possible, I believe they were banking on the other neighbour saying yes so hopefully they can work something else out.

Thats very interesting about ANLA, I did not know that the uncooperative neighbour would bear the costs! I will pass onto my neighbour.

Cheers

Larry

If you have a straight line between front and back then no issue with length?
A scaffold pole is only 50mm .
Something like ladders or planks might be harder

Sponsored Links
If you have a straight line between front and back then no issue with length?
A scaffold pole is only 50mm .
Something like ladders or planks might be harder

Hi Tiger, when you walk out of my back door theres a garage about two meters from it so there is limited room to turn the scaffold pole round. We had a reroof a few years ago and the scaffolders had to go over the neighbour's garden (they said yes back then) as they didn't have room to swing the full length poles round.

Cheers

Larry

I guess if it's an entire reroof, then you could possibly get towers around the back?
Or build the scaff at the front, then bridge across to the back, and lift/pass over/lower all the back scaff to the rear? - although I doubt anybody would fancy the job?

Virtually everything is doable with enough money.

Went on a tour of Stowe House once

15+Stowe+House.JPG

which included going out onto the recently renewed roof.

Its a Grade 1 listed and they werent allowed to fix any scaffolding to the building - the entire structure had to be free standing

632600_N2.jpg

Hi Guys,

That had a look yesterday, they didn't think their was enough space at the back so they have put the scaff on the front and the plan of attack will be similar to what Tiger suggested, some extra bodies to lift them over the top.

@Captain Nemesis, that looks like an art form!

Cheers

Larry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back