New wall/adjacent conservatory spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of extending to the rear of my house (semi-detached), and my neighbour already has a conservatory there.

What would be a practicable gap to leave to allow the wall to be built (blocks) and rendered? Also, I guess, out of courtesy, to leave room for him to clean the glass, although the extension will be <2m deep, so he could use something on a pole.

Sponsored Links
Realistically, the brickies and the plasterers would like a minimum 4 board scaffold (c. 900mm), but could build on a lesser platform, but it would be more difficult.

We are hoping to build one elevation of a detached garage with little more than 600mm betwixt us and next door.

What this means is that there will be no room for brick stacks or mortar spots or roof tile stacks etc. However we will enlarge the scaffold on the adjacent elevation to compensate. We can also stack bricks on a trestle scaffold internally and reach over for them.

It's single storey, if that makes any difference.
It does, but the problems of having little room still exist.

If this happens to be an eaves elevation, i.e. non gable then you also need to consider that the roof soffit overhang plus guttering will reduce the working room by quite a bit more.

Sponsored Links
Flat roof, with the fall away from the house, so no guttering at the side.

Looking for this again, as I couldn't remember what the answer was, and a thought struck me - surely there wouldn't be a roof overhang while they are building the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back