new wall for a conservatory.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has a lean-to, which has been in place for many years, which ends on my property. I believe this means she now owns part of my land.

Our houses are on a hill and my garden is approximately 2 meteres below ground floor level There are steps from a raised patio dropping down and access is via patio doors. I'm looking at getting a conservatory built, but the lean-to makes it quite tight. I really want to build part of the wall up to the height of the lean-to, but my neighbour is complaining the wall will be close to it.

Are there any building regs covering the height of an external wall.
It would be about 3.5m x 1.2 m. From the end of which the conservatory windows will be fitted on a wall about 2m high.

Also, my neighbour is now consdering removing the lean-to and getting a conservatory built. If she does this, can she still claim ownership of my land, or can I insist she builds inside her own boundary?

Sponsored Links
She does not own your land. Tell her to rebuild the wall on her side of the property boundary.

Building regs will not apply

Cheers Woody.

I was told that it could be hers as it was up for so long, but that did seem strange. I've got a couple of builders coming to quote, so I'll follow their guidance.

Sponsored Links
To claim land via adverse possession, there are certain procedural things which the person claiming the land must do - mainly apply to register it and the owners will be notified.

No one can just sit on land and claim it as their own any more

If you want to google , its " The Land Registration Act 2002 "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back