Building 2 flats at the the garden of my house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 3 bed semi detached Buy to Let property built on very large corner plot plot, see attached. I am thinking of building 3 extra units; one on plot 1 and 2 unites on plot 2 (one bed room flat on each story) . where do i start?

Attachments

• Aireal view.png
    Aireal view.png
    186.5 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
is it only the local council I need to speak to ?
do i need to separate the land?
will it be three titles at the Land registry instead of one title?

Forget speaking with planning, they won't be any use, you can look at your Local PLan to see what the local requirements for minimum garden space, parking requirements etc are for new dwellings in the area. Or speak with a few local architect/designers, they'll likely give you a free hour to talk things through on site if they think there may be a job in it. You wouldn't seperate any land until after planning.

Sponsored Links
Forget speaking with planning, they won't be any use, you can look at your Local PLan to see what the local requirements for minimum garden space, parking requirements etc are for new dwellings in the area. Or speak with a few local architect/designers, they'll likely give you a free hour to talk things through on site if they think there may be a job in it. You wouldn't seperate any land until after planning.
the starting point is to submit (if it is allowed after talking to local architect ) a planning application to the local authority, correct?.

Plot one would seem to be a non-starter, as would plot two with lack of garden space

Plot 2 might be in with a chance for a small house, depending on parking etc.

Plot 1 is extremely unlikely, normally you couldn't go beyond the building line of that street, so couldn't build anything there. But there may be local precedents that open the way for this.

There's a few plots down this neck of the woods (that have just got PP but have seen maybe 3 or 4 failed applications in the past) that have practically zero outdoor amentiy space and no parking within 200 yards but the planners are keen on getting the site developed, point is the local plan guidance does not always have to be followed. Try and scope out a good local designer if you can, they might have ideas you'd never considered.

Last edited:
Brown envelopes full of cash, playing golf at the same club as councillors or planning staff or being a member of the freemasons are all good ways of getting around the local plan.

But for us plebs we probably have to stick to the rules. Unless someone managed to take the pee locally very recently, in which case there may be a precedent or they may just say it was a mistake and you can't do it.

The planning system doesn't make much sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back