Building house at end of garden - corner plot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the general rules of building a house on existing garden plot on a corner plot.

My idea was to extend existing bungalow however would be good to know if i have the potential to build another property instead.

I have highlighted in red the area in question.

Thank you.

Attachments

• iexplore_bgYH7Jf3tI.jpg
    iexplore_bgYH7Jf3tI.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 495
Sponsored Links
You need to check your Local Authorities Local Policy on House Building and such new development.

I don't really like the plot you've highlighted. Bares no real resemblance to any of the plots in the area and looks like it would be way forward of the house to the right that's cut off. General building lines, cramped plot and character of the area will mean it'll probably be a refusal on the face of things.

Not necessary will be going down this route but just would be good to have an idea of what is/is not possible.

Sponsored Links
I’d be very surprised if your LPA were to support new residential development in that location and of that size. The existing plots and the houses that sit on them appear to be quite generous and this would create more of an infill development that would not be in keeping or respect the character of the area, which has been mentioned above.

A lot of people erect outbuildings or small buildings in their gardens that act as annexe’s to the main dwelling. Some use these for relatives and some also use them for short term rental/airbnb type situations. Be weary of the possible Planning implications and restrictions associated with both.

For that added piece of mind and clarification of whether or not the LPA will accept such proposals, you could try and seek their Pre-application advice. This would obviously involve some plans and elevations being put together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back