Building a butlers sink stand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bsstand.jpg

I'd like to get a few opinions on building this stand.

I'm pretty good at joinery, but I know I won't get a spray lacquered finish as per the photo.

This aside, how easy would this be to build? How should I best go about it ?

Sponsored Links
That's a mortise and tenon jointed frame and panel construction. How good are your joinery skills? If you aren't that good, maybe a simpler approach using Dominos, dowels or even (wash my mouth out) pocket hole screws might work for you.

Depends how close you want to match the photo. Easy enough to buy lacquered panels and get similar design.

A few thick planks needed for the top. PLaner/thicknesser?
Be sure to cut the ends off and use them for the side on the right. As opposed to wasting a huge chunk doing a cut out.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
if you build anything using that kind of sink, bear in mind that the user's hands will mostly be near the bottom of the sink, not at worktop level.

If you mount it with the top of the sink at worktop level, the user will probably be constantly stooping, and complaining of backache.

I have had the misfortune to use one in a house belonging to a little old lady.

They are ideal for utility rooms imo.
If you have back problems then don't bend over.

they are mostly fitted as fashionable ornaments.
Doubt it,they are very useful and easy to use , hold bigger volume . Also popular in commercial buildings especially for the cleaners to use .

I'd expect me building this would cost far more than a factory fitted unit. Seems more trouble than it's worth considering all the odds and sods involved.

If there's anyone interested here I can pass the job on. Client lives in London

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back