Building a conservatory and more....

not a 2d graphic mate, but how do i view the house from top (like a bird's eye-view).

I can't do it? I think i can...5k for knock out walls and beams and roughly 10k for a good conservatory....plus 2k just incase there are any problems.

Sponsored Links
I can't do it? I think i can...5k for knock out walls and beams and roughly 10k for a good conservatory....plus 2k just incase there are any problems.
Your not listening; unless you have external grade doors between the house & the conservatory, IT WONT BE A CONSERVATORY. :confused:

I am listening mate. I plan to build a normal conservatory without knocking out walls and at a later stage, apply for another plan to ask them to allow us to knock out the walls...surely this should be possible?

Sponsored Links
widen the window in the lounge into a pair ( or 3 ) french doors, then a conservatory.. the doors can be left open all year round but need to be there so it's classed as a conservatory and not an extension..

I plan to build a normal conservatory without knocking out walls and at a later stage, apply for another plan to ask them to allow us to knock out the walls...surely this should be possible?
No it’s not possible; well it’s physically possible but will not be allowed unless you do something like the dodge Coljack suggest but I'm not sure that amount of glass across the back would comply. You can’t knock out the walls afterwards unless you then upgrade the conservatory to meet current Building Regs. & that is just about impossible unless you build the cons. to meet Building Regs in the 1st place in which case you might as well build an extension.

Aye, the solution if you want to legally remove the doors is to build what's known as a highly glazed extension.

hmm...
in which case i now don't know what to do :( .
Well at least the penny finally seems to have dropped as to where you stand with regs. What you need to do is very clearly defined within this thread & neither I or any others have any intersest in which way you jump but whatever you chose to do, do it within legislation (in spite of how much of pain that might seem to be) as the lack of compliance certifications could seriously impact on the saleability of your property when you most need it.

thank you guys. Just to get an idea, what sort of costs would a 2.5m by 3.0m highly glazed extension cost? is it more expensive than a normal slated roof extension? What are the chances of a neighbour complaining that their light is being blocked and council accepting it?

What are the chances of a neighbour complaining that their light is being blocked

The neighbour may well object to the proposal and the planning officer will take their comment(s) onboard and will assess whether or not their concerns will influence the decision of the application.

council accepting it?

If only we could predict the future :p There are no guarantee's with the planning department but you can have more of an idea if you sought pre-application advice... if the LPA offered it and the price/time it'd take.

I'd go for the wide french doors workaround, sounds like a lot less hassle and expense to me.

I'd also planned to do this myself in the next year or two as a way of having a permitted development conservatory, but wide enough for the pool table I want. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back