knocking through into a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that my conservatory cant be the external wall of my building and that any doors between the house and conservatory need to be external doors.

Is this still true if I get the roof upgraded to one of the lightweight insulated tiled affairs that are available?

My plan is to get the roof done, then knock through the top half if the wall over the height of the kitchen cabinets so I have a more open plan kitchen diner.

I have know idea if this would pass building regs or not and if the conservatory roof would make much difference.
I dont know anyone who has had it done

Sponsored Links
Even wth a properly insulated roof, you probably still have too much glazing for it to qualify as a normal extension, so technically you still need doors.
But who's to know?

Even wth a properly insulated roof, you probably still have too much glazing for it to qualify as a normal extension, so technically you still need doors.
But who's to know?

It would no longer count as a conservatory exempt from Building Regulations, because it was no longer thermally separated from the house by external doors. I think you'd struggle to make it comply (it would have to comply with Part A and Part B as wwell as Part L). But as Tony says, who's to know?

Personally I'd want to make sure I'd achieved enough insulation with my new roof, that I didn't end up making my kitchen very cold in winter. Conservatories are often unusable for much of the year.

Cheers
Richard

Me. I dont like breaking the rules!

Is there anything I can do to the side windows that wont just look like I have boarded them up?

The side windows always have the blinds down anyway.

Is there a percentage rule for how much glazing we are allowed?

Sponsored Links
But who's to know?

It would no longer count as a conservatory exempt from Building Regulations, because it was no longer thermally separated from the house by external doors. But as Tony says, who's to know?

Personally I'd want to make sure I'd achieved enough insulation with my new roof, that I didn't end up making my kitchen very cold in winter. Conservatories are often unusable for much of the year.

Cheers
Richard

We use it a year round now, we just make sure the heating is on in winter..

I suppose we could do the roof then leave knocking through until after winter.
But if we can't know through, its more reason to move rather than renovate

If building a normal extension, the maximum area of glazing usually permitted is 25% of the new floor area created plus the area(s) of any doors or windows covered by (or removed in conjunction with) the extension.

25% is usually a lot less glass than a conservatory.

If building a normal extension, the maximum area of glazing usually permitted is 25% of the new floor area created plus the area(s) of any doors or windows covered by (or removed in conjunction with) the extension.

25% is usually a lot less glass than a conservatory.

Thanks, I'd be pushing it even with the roof and the sides gone.

Hmmmm, back to stupidly expensive extension or moving. (Or not having tha layout anf space I want)

Hmmmm, back to stupidly expensive extension or moving. (Or not having tha layout anf space I want)

Or just doing it, as any other bsgger would :cool: Or are you planning on inviting Building Control round for tea within a year of doing it?

Cheers
Richard

Whats the relevance of the year?

It's the period of time within which the council can take enforcement action against the householder for not complying with Building Regs (another regulation gives them 2 years, but it's my understanding that this is more commonly used against builders).

Cheers
Richard

Despite the 25% guidance, you do have to remember that is is just a guidance on meeting the regulation. You will be amazed just how much glass you can have in an extension and still show compliance.

You can get a SAP calculation of your entire property to show that your property meets the energy efficiency requirements (not just your extension). This allows you to make improvements and enhancements throughout in order to get the amount of glass that you want / need.

This is not getting around the regulations, simply showing how your situation complies with them.

The trouble of course is that its not a simple solution that you can just undertake yourself. You'll need to get someone in to carry out some SAP calculations and make recommendations for improvements where necessary. And you'll want to carry out those improvements too of course - which adds to the cost over just changing the conservatory roof.

Others here are asking the "why bother" question. Because building contorl won't be aware unless you tell them, the only real answer to this question is to keep your energy bills in check. If you knock through without the energy considerations then you may find your bills increase. Making sensible efficiency changes, both to your extension/conservatory and your property in general can help reduce bills (and as a result effectively pays for itself).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back