Conservatory quote to knock through and make kitchen diner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been to see a local supplier who is coming round to quote for a new Conservatory. The conservatory would be joined to the kitchen which currently has external windows and a door.

He mentioned that it would be possible to knock through and make one big kitchen diner. By this he means remove the door and window, leaving the wall intact. I asked whether Building Regulations would allow this and he said that "If anyone asks, tell them that you removed the doors and windows yourself". I don't understand this because I thought that the structure could only be classed as a Conservatory if:

(as this page states) http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/:
"However, conservatories are normally exempt from building regulations when: The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality walls, doors or windows."
Not sure what "normally" means.

Is this a loophole or am I being fed a load of rubbish by the supplier?
I'd rather know before I go any further.

Sponsored Links
I asked whether Building Regulations would allow this and he said that "If anyone asks, tell them that you removed the doors and windows yourself".
Even if that were true, Building Regulations would still apply - it doesn't matter who does the work, if it's notifiable for a builder then it is notifiable for DIY.

You might also be on flaky ground re planning permission.

I don't understand this because I thought that the structure could only be classed as a Conservatory if:

(as this page states) http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/:
"However, conservatories are normally exempt from building regulations when: The conservatory is separated from the house by external quality walls, doors or windows."
And other things.

Not sure what "normally" means.
It means that even if it is separated etc it might still not be classed as a conservatory.

Is this a loophole
No, it's a suggestion that you should break the law.

or am I being fed a load of rubbish by the supplier?
You are being given very bad advice by someone who ought to know better and ought to be a trusted adviser.

If that's his attitude to regulations then who know what other requirements he will ignore? He's a cowboy - have nothing to do with him.

But in reality there are thousands of people who do just this, albeit not at the suggestion of the conservatory supplier. They may or may not have problems when they come to sell.

They're just trying to cover their backs. It's the same as a bike mechanic saying "remember that exhaust wasn't on the bike when I MOTed it".

Doesn't mean it's legal, just means it wasn't them, guvnor.

Having said that, I'm sure Building Control don't make a habit of coming into people's gardens and peering into their conservatory, to see if any doors have been removed this week.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
They're just trying to cover their backs. It's the same as a bike mechanic saying "remember that exhaust wasn't on the bike when I MOTed it".

Doesn't mean it's legal, just means it wasn't them, guvnor.

Having said that, I'm sure Building Control don't make a habit of coming into people's gardens and peering into their conservatory, to see if any doors have been removed this week. So it might be better to do it later ;) You'll lose a lot of heat out of the house if you do, though.

Cheers
Richard

But in reality there are thousands of people who do just this, albeit not at the suggestion of the conservatory supplier. They may or may not have problems when they come to sell.
None of that matters - any company which could suggest that someone commits a criminal act (and yes, it really is, no matter how unlikely a prosecution is) has got fundamentally the wrong attitude, and cannot be trusted.

The entire world.

But that's still not the point - it is illegal, and no professional should ever advise doing something illegal, unless he is a professional criminal.

When my clients ask things like this I tend to say you could do that but I didn't say so and information i ever issue (ie drawings) will not show anything illegal. This goes on within the industry all the time, it always has it always has will. Garage conversion builders fitting kitchens where the PP states they must not, builders removing external doors after BC sign off tec etc, it goes on all the time. Get over it you silly little man.

I'm sorry that you regard decency, honesty, trustworthiness and morality as silly.

Shall I regard you as a cowboy who has no respect for the law?

All sorts of unlawful things go on all the time, that doesn't make them right, and it does not mean that anybody who is decent, honest, trustworthy and moral should join in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back